Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm new to the forum (a couple months old) and I'm considering the Gen ll Tri-Y Headers (plus the catalytic converters) for my 96 Impala ss. I wanna know how much HORSEPOWER GAIN have you experienced with these particular headers, and does it require any welding to put the catalytic converters on the stock exhaust/pipes? Please be detailed... Thanks!

http://www.clearimageautomotive.com/Products/Exhaust/P2030065.JPG

·
Premium Member
3,774 Posts
It depends...... ;)
What are the other mods on your car? Is it tip-top shape as far as ignition system, fuel system? Mileage/health of motor, valvesprings' ability to rev to 5500 rpm, PCM tune.....all will affect the answer.
If you're going from stock manifolds to the TriY's and leaving the stock mufflers, resonators, and tailpipes in place, expect about 10 hp. If all of the above mentioned is met and you replace the mufflers and tails, or better yet a complete 2 1/4 or 2 1/2 catback, it could be up to 30 hp on a finely tuned setup.

·
Registered
7,024 Posts
It depends...... ;)
What are the other mods on your car? Is it tip-top shape as far as ignition system, fuel system? Mileage/health of motor, valvesprings' ability to rev to 5500 rpm, PCM tune.....all will affect the answer.
If you're going from stock manifolds to the TriY's and leaving the stock mufflers, resonators, and tailpipes in place, expect about 10 hp. If all of the above mentioned is met and you replace the mufflers and tails, or better yet a complete 2 1/4 or 2 1/2 catback, it could be up to 30 hp on a finely tuned setup.
I agree with Pat that up to 30hp is possible but 20-25hp would be more the norm.

·
Registered
8,572 Posts
Young-

For part 2 of your ques I believe the answer is no. You'll have to replace the headers and cats as a set obviously, but the final out will mate back up with your current pipes.

As alluded to, you really need to do headers in tamdem with a credible catback system. And, an H- or X-pipe

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
My last bolt-on mod for the Caprice was Afterburner headers. They are not Tri-Ys but produce a similar hp gain.

The car with all possible bolt-ons before headers dynoed 251 or 252 SAE rwhp. A year later it dynoed 279 rwhp with Afterburners. And it had crappy header gaskets that were leaking. At the track I was never able to get into 13s or trap above 98 mph before the headers. It ran 13.51 @ 101 after.

·
Registered
6,949 Posts
Somewhere between 20 and 30. I did heads/cam before headers (cause I blew my stock motor) so I'm guessing I got more like 50 out of them.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
My car RUNS like a dream! The engine is quiet, modified with lingenfelter trottlebody and stock intake bored out by lingenfelter. march under drive pulley, roller rocker arms, msd, automatic shiftkit, 3:73 ratio gears in rear end, RAISS, flowmaster catbacks (just the chrome tips), bmr suspension, baer brakes, tranny oil cooler sytem, new wires & spark plugs (tune up), two new o2 sensors, and a fresh oil change. I'm leaving my stock mufflers, resonators, and tailpipes in place for now, but I'll eventually upgrade.

I'm planning on putting a "Denny's" performance driveshaft, tru trac posi, and maybe Borla exhaust system.

So I'm guessing I should have good results out of these headers?

·
Registered
657 Posts
if you are going to throw cash at headers, you might as well spend a little more to maximize your gains by getting rid of the stock mufflers. You can get a pair of summit turbos for $60.

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
if you are going to throw cash at headers, you might as well spend a little more to maximize your gains by getting rid of the stock mufflers. You can get a pair of summit turbos for $60.

Save your money HP Mufflers
Install an X-Pipe, better than an H-pipe.
The throughput will double the stock 1v1 system.
Adding noisier mufflers will not help that much on a Street Machine.

Racing a lot pushing HP and 6500+ shifts maybe.
Street bound save the money unless they are worn out.

D

·
ISSF Honey Badger
27,205 Posts
It depends...... ;)
The bottom line is most headers will give you a decent bump but remember...

"The bitter taste of poor quality remains much longer than the sweet taste of a low price!"

(3)
Save your money HP Mufflers
Install an X-Pipe, better than an H-pipe.
The throughput will double the stock 1v1 system.
Adding noisier mufflers will not help that much on a Street Machine.

Racing a lot pushing HP and 6500+ shifts maybe.
Street bound save the money unless they are worn out.

D
X pipe definitely...has anyone in the last few years actually put an H pipe on a car? Ouch...that's so...80's...

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Another Question

Do you all think the installation of these headers are easy enough for a young "car novice" to do?

(The most mechanical work I've done so far is install a new fuel pump/filter in my SS.)

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Do you all think the installation of these headers are easy enough for a young "car novice" to do?

(The most mechanical work I've done so far is install a new fuel pump/filter in my SS.)
Yup. It's all wrench work. 'PB Blaster' on the existing manifold to cat and cat to exhaust bolts is going to be your friend. Don't forget new gaskets for the headers to the block (I think the Tri-Y's come with header bolts?)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yup. It's all wrench work. 'PB Blaster' on the existing manifold to cat and cat to exhaust bolts is going to be your friend. Don't forget new gaskets for the headers to the block (I think the Tri-Y's come with header bolts?)
Thanks! Hopefully I could knock this out soon. Even tho I got a couple broken manifold bolts to get out too.

(And yes, Tri Y's do come with header bolts; grade 8's)

·
Registered
833 Posts
One question that does not get asked is Where in the power band do headers provide an increase in HP/TQ? Most dyno runs that get posted start at around 3,000 rpm. This is due to the gears and Torque Converted used. Even stock dyno runs start around 2,000rpm. This means there is little to no documentation of power increases in the range that most street driven cars will see.

Driving on the street from off idle to crusing rpm's you will not see much improvement from headers. On the other hand if you live at the track on week-ends, you will be able to see where your money went.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Excellent question

Someone please answer this question..cause it seems like if you're a daily driver you will not see HP gains unless mashing on the highway or speed track

·
Premium Member
20,353 Posts
Someone please answer this question..cause it seems like if you're a daily driver you will not see HP gains unless mashing on the highway or speed track
You'll feel the power bump even at part throttle......like quicker accelleration to highway speed when on getting on the freeway......and especially when you have to pass some knucklehead who's dragging their ass on a two lane road.

Bottom line......mashing the peddle or racing at the strip ain't the only times you'll feel the power.

KW

·
Premium Member
8,454 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,454 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,454 Posts
1 - 20 of 31 Posts