Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

How much would you pay (Per side) for a single sheet metal 1/4 patch panel?

• $75

Votes: 13 30.2%
  • $100

Votes: 14 32.6%
  • $125

Votes: 9 20.9%
  • $150

Votes: 7 16.3%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed a severe lack in 1/4 panel sheet metal patch panels. I know you can get the fiberglass ones, but I think most, if not all, people would prefer a weld-in one.

I'm considering going out and having patch panels made for our cars. This would likely be from the body line behind the rear fender, down to the pinch weld at the bottom of the 1/4. At this time I don't think it would be cost effective to include the inside of the fender, because that would be pretty easily made up by anyone with any metal skills, and since it does not get seen, I imagine the real "Needed" parts is the correctly formed outside body panel.

They would be 100% American made and produced, and of the highest quality, so price would not be dirt-cheap, but quality would be stellar.

I will include a poll in a few minutes to see what people would be willing to pay for such a piece. Obviously it is not even worth me going through the trouble to try to set something up if it will cost $125 to make, box, and ship it and people are only willing to pay $100 for one...

Thanks guys,

Doug

·
Registered
10,948 Posts
An inside piece (trunk floor extension) would be easy enough to produce.

I would not buy one but would if a wagon qr was produced.

A junkyard usually charges around $85ish for the patch needed ... And you can certainly find solid ones here

·
Registered
22 Posts
agree with helpcomputer salt dosent help our ny cars much mines from bath new york and the lower quarters are soft/rotted front inner wheel housings would also be mint for us rust belt guys being they usually are rotted due to the salt great idea keep me updated highly interested

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input guys.

I have a 1/4 panel in-route to a metal stamping company for setting up for CAD. If I recall, the piece also has a decent inside section currently on it, so we might have the ability to get that drawn up at the same time.

At this time I am focusing on the 93+ sedan, if it all works out and orders go well for those I will step it up to wagons right away.

Doug

·
Registered
91 Posts
This would be awesome I've been looking for a pass. Side lower quarter to repair blowout damage below the body line, but I would not hesitate to pay $200+ if its a good quality piece just can't find'em in my area......................

·
Registered
91 Posts
Thanks for the help in getting something like this produced! I am subscribed and will deffinately buy one if they come thru!

·
Registered
442 Posts
Need floor pans!

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
This has my attention as well. I'm interested in the area behind the wheel well to bumper area. I -just- got mine beat up my doing some unexpected 'off-roading' on the RH side.

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the feedback guys. Keep it coming.

I am sure there will be a pretty decent start-up cost involved with this, so I wanna hear from anyone who might be interested. It just seems like such a NEEDED item...

Thanks,

Doug

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
I'll post a picture of my 'affected area' from a non-intended offroading adventure this weekend, to make sure we're on the same page.

I've got cell phone pix that I need to crop, and hopefully there was enough sun at lunch time to make them clear as to show what I need.

I would really be interested in hearing from experienced body guys, what kind of costs are associated with this R&R.

Thanks for the good work.

·
Registered
452 Posts
X2 on hearing from experienced bodymen on the cost of the R&R of this item. I too have a passenger rear side lower damage and would be interested in this piece. Can someone please post a picture of where were talking about. I have one on my cellphone i cant upload, willing to send my cellphone pic to someones cellphone if needed to make sure.

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
Not the best pic, but this is what I could get at lunch time (Dirt included!).

I can take better pix on THU when it supposed to be clear.

Just wondering what the proposed panel would cover in approximate area dimensions.

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The proposed panel would cover from the body line down, and from the wheel well to the rear bumper, including the wrap around behind the bumper.

Junior - It will cover your damage easily.

Doug

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
Well consider me in DEFINITELY for a RH piece. I'll investigate the LH side at lunch time, just in case.

THX!

1. What type and gauge of MATL will you be designing the part from?
2. What type of finish we be applied prior to shipping?

·
Registered
91 Posts
That will cover my damage! I am in too would be worth most any price to me, I would be in on a floor pan too like yoko!

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well consider me in DEFINITELY for a RH piece. I'll investigate the LH side at lunch time, just in case.

THX!

1. What type and gauge of MATL will you be designing the part from?
2. What type of finish we be applied prior to shipping?
At this time we are still in the stage of seeing if it can be economically produced. Assuming it can, I would prefer that it have some sort of primer on it, as units will need to be purchased in bulk runs and likely sit on a shelf for months before they all sell, but there are many options, and I will cross that bridge when/if I get there.

Thanks,

Doug

1 - 20 of 45 Posts