Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my Gen II tri-y headers with high flow converters installed last week and now am gonna bring my factory cats to the scrap yard. I just wanted to know a guesstimate of what I should consider as a fair price. I am sure someone has done this and if so, please let me know what you received, If you don't mind. Thanks

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
Most people sell them to the people on this forum that need them. You'll get more that way than from the average scrap yard. I gave a set (they were bad) to a friend that sells scrap for a living. He got $25 each for them.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats what i was thinking, just figured I would ask. thanks for the quock reply

·
Registered
163 Posts
damn,guess i shouldn't have left them at the muffler shop after all!! o2 sensors and all

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
damn,guess i shouldn't have left them at the muffler shop after all!! o2 sensors and all
doh!

i wud save them regardless...who knows maybe someone on the forum might need them? even if u get the same price for them at the junkyard knowing that it went to a good cause is better than knowing that the scrap yard will just scrap them

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
I had my Gen II tri-y headers with high flow converters installed last week and now am gonna bring my factory cats to the scrap yard. I just wanted to know a guesstimate of what I should consider as a fair price. I am sure someone has done this and if so, please let me know what you received, If you don't mind. Thanks
How many miles and what's the condition?

·
Registered
11,013 Posts
I cut the ends off the ones I took off my subaru (so they're easier to package), and sold the pair on ebay for scrap for $150 + shipping. Did the same with my converters off my 95 RMS. You can't list what they came off from on ebay anymore, but that doesn't mean you can't write the make and model on the cat and take a picture of it. including weight and a picture of the insides help.

Selling them on Ebay > Selling them to local scrap yard.

·
Premium Member
6,358 Posts
sweet jeebus, save the cats!!!

96 cats will be hard to replace when they finally crap out if other states adopt cali smog rules cwm5

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How many miles and what's the condition?
The cats have 105k miles on them. They appear to be in good condition. The only reason they were removed was because I purchased CIA's high flow converters. I purchased the car last December with 100k miles from its original owner. Maybe I will hang on to them in case someone needs them.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I assume you live in an area where 'smog test? What's that?' applies.

Running without cats in certain states (Cali, for example) can get you fined 2500 bucks. However, I think if you had proof that the cats were reinstalled (Cali law works like this, I know it probably sounds ludicrous anywhere else), you'd be let go with court costs and/or have the fine severely reduced.

Ever contemplated moving somewhere? Make sure they don't have laws like that. In any case don't scrap them if someone else can use them, 105k I'd imagine they're at least good enough to get someone by for a year or two before having to spring for new ones or swapping another used set in.

Put it this way; would you take parts off of a 67 Impala SS and just go, 'eh, let me take this to the scrap yard?' Well, not to get all '9C1.net' on you, but these cars were only produced in limited numbers for three years and they're not getting any younger or more numerous. If you care about the car and other people who share your enthusiasm, please put the parts in the hands of someone who needs them vs. scrapping them. The beauty of a Chevy is being able to find parts for them, vs. some piece of exotica that requires a pound of flesh at the parts counter. However, if the cars are unceremoniously junked eventually they'll become expensive to run. Just sayin'.

If you don't think owning an American car can be a nightmare when the parts dry up, ask a Mopar guy. Look up an original Challenger grille in good/restored condition. You could probably buy a beater LT1 B-Body cheaper.

However, I know what I'll be looking for from now on when I see junk cars lying around that no one will ever give a **** about/are just numerous. Places that do exhaust mods must love customers who leave cats behind :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts