Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
"bored", a 383 is .030 over bore. Check local machine shops you are comfortable with. To get "383 CI" you need to "stroke" the motor. This is where the block needs "clearanceing" to clear the now longer rods and stroker crank rotation.

You can do the clearanceing yourself but, IMHO, I would have the machine shop do the whole thing and build me the short block.

I went with.

www.golenengineservice.com

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
383 ci = 4.03" bore x 3.75" stroke

Stock bore is 4.00", stock stroke is 3.48" - so the engine needs to be bored and stroked.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Expect $2500-$3500 for a quality 383 stroker rebuild without heads. To make any decent power, expect another S1,500-$2,000 for heads and intake.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So a 400ci crank and a .03 or .3 bore of the engine block will make a 383, will I be able to use 350ci cylinder heads and intake?

This will be a 350 TBI build, and instead of a refresher I would like to make it a 383ci.

Either way the engine is getting rebuilt. Just would like to know if the cubes are worth the money?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
not really a 400 crank. a 400 crank won't fit because it's made for teh 2 piece rear main seal. You also have to turn down the diameter of teh main journals on a 400 crank i believe. Modern 1 piece RMS 383 stroker cranks are better quality than an original 400 crannk anyway.

also, it's an .030" overbore, thirty thousandths of an inch

yes, your 350 heads and intake will fit, and they will function ok, but you won't see the dramatic power gain you would from a good set of heads on a 383. Choose your cam carefully, and you can probably do well with the factory heads/intake.

remember too that you'll need to have a new chip burned for your new motor.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I meant 350 heads in general, My TBI heads/intake are junk. Either I rebuild my 350 with performance heads,cam,intake,pistons or do the same but make it a 383.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I personally think the 383 is worth the money, because it produces more torque, and lower. Plus you can use a bigger heads and cam package it will still seam tame. If you are very knowlageable about engines, and have gone deep into them before, you could save a bit of money by putting it together yourself. But you gotta know what your doing or it won't last long.

If the choice is 350 with wicked heads, or 383 with ok heads. the 350 with wicked heads will likely produce more power. The potential is in the cubes, but the heads(and cam) unleash it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by MrCadillac (Magnum):

If the choice is 350 with wicked heads, or 383 with ok heads. the 350 with wicked heads will likely produce more power. The potential is in the cubes, but the heads(and cam) unleash it.
Yup. A great headed 350 will make more horsepower than a good headed 383, but the 383 ill make more torque.

Because you're not really changing the block, ANY gen I & II small block chevy heads will "fit", but like Cory said, power is made in teh heads, so be sure the ones you choose are up to the task.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think I will go with a great cylinder head/camshaft combo 350, I doubt I'll have enough money for machine work on my engine, besides I can do 383 later down the road

But if I can find a cheap LT1
it might still happen!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.