Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We found a replacement center console unit to replace the one on our 94 Fleetwood that's broken. Unfortunately, the interior mouse fur is stained, has sticky crap in it and is worn - see below pictures.

Anyone have any ideas on how to clean up this console interior? Already tried soaking it in a solution of Dawn and water to clean it up to the point you see here but it won't clean up anything more than what it's done.

·
Registered
8,203 Posts
Pretty gnarley. For that flocking you may want to try dry cleaning spray like K2r, or just an industrial strength spray carpet cleaner. IDK if you'll ever get it to the point of being properly disinfected, so you may want just more flocking spray finish to seal things up after some more cleaning.

Ain't there no way to swap the shells and inserts?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Doesn't seem to be - looks like GM glued or sonic welded the plastics together.

Our original isn't a lot better, honestly - just as stained and such, though not quite as disgusting.

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
Flock It!

Since it won't clean up, why not remove what's there with some sort of aggressive Stripper or Gasket remover of some type. Be careful doing this and test a small/unseen area first.

Once the old material is removed and you are down to bare plastic, look for some sort of Spray on Felt liner or a Flocking kit like this to re-do the inside.

Not sure if this is what the factory does, but it has to be something similar.

·
Registered
388 Posts
A relining is definately the way to go for this type of material without a doubt. Trying to clean this type of funky fuzzy fabric IMHO would be a big waste of time.

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
I would invest 30 minutes of attempt to clean it time. Disassemble as much as possible,spray some all purpose cleaner in there.Let it sit for a few then brush with an old tooth brush then spray it with a garden hose.I've had great results cleaning this type of console lining a few times.Good luck. Jim

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would invest 30 minutes of attempt to clean it time. Disassemble as much as possible,spray some all purpose cleaner in there.Let it sit for a few then brush with an old tooth brush then spray it with a garden hose.I've had great results cleaning this type of console lining a few times.Good luck. Jim
Hm, something like Simple Green at full strength perhaps?

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
Hm, something like Simple Green at full strength perhaps?
Exactly what I was thinking or Spray Nine or something like Greased Lightning. Using whatever you can before you start to get more aggressive with Cleaners. Another product I've had good experience with on Fabric type of material is Lestoil, but it can be difficult to find in some stores but that stuff works great.

As mentioned earlier, get the cleaner on there and use a old toothbrush (stiff) or something similar to try and brak up the stain in the fabric a little. At this point you got nothing to lose is you go to strip it and re-flock it.

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
Yes any all purpose cleaner like Simple Green.The local auto parts stores have several options of cleaners that would work.
Good luck let us know how you make out!
Jim

1 - 9 of 9 Posts