Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 175 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This will be the new sticky for plus sizing. Its gonna take a while to rebuild, and any contributions are welcome.
CALLING ALL BIG WHEEL OWNERS!

NEW RULES​

Lets keep it clean and concise. THIS IS NOT INTENDED TO BE A PIC THREAD. If you've got anything bigger than stock 17"s, Post ONE or Two good pix of your setup and all available specs: Size of wheel, Offset or backspacing, Tire size, suspension mods, what you had to do to make them fit, and who's car you stole them from.

I'll post pics and info for anyone's car I can find.

Gentlemen, we can rebuild her. I'll go first:

This was the most radical setup I ever ran. 20x9's on the front, 22x9.5's on the rear. The wheels had a +18 offset, so I used 1/4 spacers front and rear to get them just right. On the front, this gave good turning radius, on the rear, I had about 1/2 inch clearance on both sides. It rubbed my dual exhaust, but a hammer fixed that. Tires were 255/35r20's front and 265/35R22's rear.

·
Premium Member
10,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Found this one

Memeber: DJ SS
Wheels:U2-U35
24X10
+13 offset
275/25/24 pirelli nero tires
stock height
no mods = shocks, extended control arms, etc

Member: ShowSS12
I am runnin 22x9.5 U2-55b wheel I am on bags and am running a 255/30/22 tire.
I'll have to dig up the offset, but I will say it the max you can get if u wana tuck some rim up front I am working on bringing the front down and still using the inner fenders....
Mod says they are a +15, IIRC

STAGGERED 22'S!
Member: 1-CLN-SS
I run 22x9 with 265/30/22 and 22x11 with 315/25/22 lowered with no rubbing problems.Not sure of the backspacing but i think its 6 inches front and rear.

Member: Wiltthestilt
Great idea firewood. I will throw in my 2 cents.

Having gone from 20x8.5, 20x10 to 22x9, 22x11 I can say with moderate certainity that you are going to rub at some point, especially if you are running sprint springs all around. Maybe I just have bad luck, but I have done a decent amount of work to eliminate most of the rubbing, but times during heavy loads, bouncy roads, or large dips, I still rub a little bit. I have rolled the rear fenders (not visibly noticable), and taking off the trim on the front wheelwells.

With that said, lets talk about the fun stuff! Don't listen to the haters, a well designed and properly fitted 11" wide wheel will fit without any notching.

I am running 22x11 with 15mm OS in the rear and the fronts are a 9" at 20 mm. Toyo proxes 4 265/30/22 and 305/25/22 in the rear.

Without further ado, here is my car. I know I am missing great amount of details, so just go ahead and ask in this thread if you can think of them and I will try to help. However, Firewood knows a great more than I do! (No he doesn't!- Firewood)

·
Premium Member
1,996 Posts
I can try to help a bit firewood

on my Dggm im running 265/35/22 all around 22X9.5 with a offset of 15 and its drop i forgot the name of the springs but they are a 2 inc drop all around,it does rub a bit in the driver side rear do to the body shiftin but its not to bad and i removed the front wheel moldings so no rub.

on the DCM its all stock same rims no rub anywhere hope this helps a bit

·
Registered
469 Posts
Pretty simple setup. 22X9.5's in the rear with 20X8.5's up front. 295/30/ZR22 rear tires and 245/40/ZR20 fronts. The car is lowered 2.5" in the back and 2" in the front. No rubbing and no problems. Nothing fancy

Attachments

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
22x9.5 +13 Offset 255/30/22 Tires

24x10 +10 Offset 275/25/24 Tires

Sprint Springs with 1/2 coil cut on the front springs.

To minimize rubbing up front I cut the mounting section off the front fender molding (section where it screws into the fenders) off along the upper arch of the wheel well. I also removed the front bumpstops and added energy suspension flat bumpstops. Will be swapping out the monroes for belltech drop shocks soon cause the monroes are terrible with the car lowered this much.

·
Premium Member
10,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thank you guys!
Update on the above car:
My car is all springs no bags. In order to tuck the back on 24's you will need the right offset and a 275/25/24 tire. Mine is a +10 offset but im more than sure a +13 or will work. A (+15 MIGHT) +18 will most likely hit the inner side of the wheel well when you turn or go up inclines.

That's an older pic with ST springs in the front cut this is with the sprints in the front cut.

Ive gotten it a little lower in the front even since that picture. Next project is to cut my inner fenders to I can turn without shaving a thin layer of rubber off my front tires each time.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Bagged on 22x9.5 +15 off set 285/30/22. In this pic its not notched and has stock front spindles, removed front wheel wells.

·
Registered
6,443 Posts
255/30/22
22x9.5
+15 offset.
No suspension mods
Stock height
Fit with the skirts no problem, I cut them because I wanted to.

Update.

1.75" spacer in the rear brings the backspacing to about 4.05" on a 9.5" rim.

RIght at the razors edge of the fender flares. If I had tires from the front it would hit on the flares.

I cant run a tire any bigger then a 255 it appears.

Reactions: Hearseguy

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
the wheels wilt has is E-Forged E75 wheels...

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
22x9 U2 55
+13mm offset
285/30 Lexani LX9000
Extended Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms
ST Springs Front
SS Rear Springs
Monroe SS Shocks all around
Rubs up front while turning hard while moving

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
that's the best all you guys can do ??

im taking over this thread... RIGHT NOW...

305/30/26 babe... whooo weee!

you need control arm for the front, ball joint. cups for the front and back. rear extend arm, upper extend arm. cup. (i prefer to grab a truck springs in the back and cut em down to spec to prevent rubbing and weight..

all the bushing.

now the fun begin..

remove the control arm and all shims.

remove the bottom sway bar.

install the new control arm with no shim once done you will see that the arm touch the frame of the car. u will need to notch the frame just a bit around here..

of course make sure u use a jack stand when doing this job

remove the springs and install cup on top of the spring and install everything back the way it was. u will need to put a jack under the lower control arm so apply pressure and tighten all the bolt..

voila..

i dont have much picture of the rear . but the rear should be 3/4 inch LONGER than stock with the adjustable rear control arm.

the upper you will have to adjust to make sure the yoke from the transmission goes STRAIGHT to the rear end. the rear end just align straight toward the transmission. this is IMPORTANT!!

now grab a better and WAIT!

make sure everything is tight. make sure the cup in the rear (if you use it) is not going to move. i prefer to weld em down on the rear end to be safe unless u get truck springs then u can eliminate the cup.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
here is a 305/30/26 tire next to the car. u will see it wont fit. but keep in mind. the center of the disc is not center to the tire. so it will lift a bit more.

so after robbing the BANK!

i got verrryyy lucky!!!

(seriously i didnt rob the bank..)

but im from 305!

got my rims

the jack barely could pick up my car to install the rims..

not much clearance so i had to cut just lil to be able to turn. i didnt want it sky high.

the back was asking for the cut.

happiest guy on the planet. finally complete the project. took me a while..

ice cream paintjob!

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
no door handle!!!

result!!!

no pooking out!!!

still miss my babe..

unfortunately.... i sold the rims.. bought a house.. and havent got around to save up and buy another rims since the bills were eating my saving.. so... i never got things the way i want it... RIP..

·
Premium Member
10,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The Firewood will rise again;2124580 [CENTER said:
NEW RULES[/CENTER]

Lets keep it clean and concise. THIS IS NOT INTENDED TO BE A PIC THREAD. If you've got anything bigger than stock 17"s, Post ONE or Two good pix of your setup and all available specs: Size of wheel, Offset or backspacing, Tire size, suspension mods, what you had to do to make them fit, and who's car you stole them from.
If you have not followed the parameters above, You may find your post edited. This is intended to be a quick reference thread, with info and a few pix of your combo, Not a "Hey Look At Me" thread.

I just want to keep it clean and quick like the last one. If I'm being an ******* here, let me know.

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
My old car
18x12 in the rear 7.5" backspace with 335/30-18, 18x9.5 up front with 275/40-18
This was back in 2000 before all the new cool wheels/tires were out.

Down side is you have to cut the frame to make this combo fit.
:)

Info as on http://www.azsupersport.com/minitub.asp
the pictures are there even though the thumbnails are not.

·
Premium Member
1,996 Posts
like tex214 said 265-35-22 is a real good size tire for the front and rear if you go bigger in the front like 275 or bigger expect some rubbing when you bottom out and this is on stock hight for a impala . Now the rear ive seen guys with irocs (ME) go as big as 275.30 but on a 22 by 9.5 in iroc with a 15 offset it will rubb a bit if your body has shifted.

Now on my DGGM im running 255-25 tires 24X10 irocs the rims are 10mm offset all around and they are on a 2 inch drop front and back

now for the front i remove the wheel moldings and also removed the 2 top bolts on the top of the inside wheel well for the back i shave the rear moldings off. i do not have extended arm in the rear i know tex214 did keep his rear moldings and all he did was the bottom part of the molding behind it there's a bit of metal you need to bent in a good hammer would do the trick

·
Premium Member
10,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Take a bigger picture???? What do I need a bigger camera?? That is my avatar, similar to yours (but better looking) It will always be small. If you want to see more pics hit this link http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3819604/1 and view all of my rides. I asked a valid question about repairing my car. I didn't come on here bragging about my wheels or anything else just wanted some help. I think that is what this forum is for right? As for BS..... all that extra stuff on your car excessive chrome plating, lambo doors, .... I find that to be BS. JMO
Slow down there, buddy. He's just bustin your chops, don't take it personal. We do that around here.
A bigger pic helps us see where the problem is.

What you need to do is get your car back on the lift, and trim everything on the back side of the fender lip. Some guys take the front trim off altogether.

And heck yes, if your running a wheel 8 times larger than stock, you need to make sure your suspension is in top shape. New shocks will help. Look for Monroe Severe Service shocks for cheap stiff shocks, or go for the Bilsteins for even better but more expensive shocks.
And while your at it, I'd make sure the brakes were in top shape, and upgrade to stainless steel braided hoses. They'd dirt cheap from summit, and firm up the brakes noticeably.

You'll also note there's a guy in this same thread with the same wheels. Why not PM him and ask him what he did?

·
Premium Member
1,056 Posts
Bonspeed Malibus...... Fronts,18x9 5.5 BS 255/35/18... Rears, 18x12 8.0 BS 335/30/18

Frame notched

Azz end

·
Registered
460 Posts

Member: Wiltthestilt

[/quote]
WHO'S CARS ARE THESE???!!! I want the rims off eitehr one of these 2 cars. But I don't know what kind they are!!! Any Help?

1 - 20 of 175 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.