Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
there is a post on here by saint that had two links from cadillacforums.com
i don't know if anyone realized, but it was a dead end.. i made sure the Twilight was OFF, unplugged my DRL relay and also unplugged the diode from the heatsink above the steering column... they just will not die

anyone with a DRL fleetwood know how?
i ordered the HID conversion and absolutely want DRLs disabled. Please Help!

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Note: this fleetwood Is canadian if it matters
and i also tried unplugging the light sensor in the dash, and also tried snipping its 2 wires and connecting them.. No luck

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DRL's became law for auto manufacturers to sell cars in Canada come 1990. I believe it is just starting to come around in the US. Thats why your 1996 Fleetwood doesn't have them, provided it is an American car and not a Canadian one.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah elias, being canadian she came with DRLs and a block heater, they sure didn't stay in long after i got it... but yeah i'm going nuts, i did more research and i see i could snip "the pink wire" to the DRL Module and get rid of DRLs AND T/S (which is fine by me) but i do not know what the box looks like

i see two black boxes in the passg kick panel area that have "two clips", one has a thick pink wire, the other has 2 thinner pink wires (each a different shade of pink)

please, anyone? pic of DRL module?

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There is the black box in the kick panel. with a blue and black connector, its just like on the b-body.

pull the blue connector out and everything you wanted is disabled. DRL and/or TS. Now it been a while I did it I just cant recall if its the black or blue one, just try the other, you cant go wrong.

All the rest get to work normaly.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
American 96 Fleetwoods had DRL's standard. Elias, I'm curious as to why your car doesn't have it?

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ohhyeah thats right i read the later US ones had them.. hmmm i wonder too

SSnow...
heres a pic of the passenger kick

Black Box A = 1 white clip, one black clip. but the wires are Big (10-12guage) and are coming straight from the firewall(engine bay)

Black Box B = 2 black "masses" but do not look like clips, then there is tons of other random clips... if i'm looking in the wrong spot let me know, i have the dash completely out so i can go wherever i need to.

Y

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by 96roadmaster:
American 96 Fleetwoods had DRL's standard. Elias, I'm curious as to why your car doesn't have it?
Not sure.. mine is a late build 1996 too... hmmm

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
my 96 fleetwood brougham has the DRLs also..kinda dont like them....

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by CustomCaddys:
ohhyeah thats right i read the later US ones had them.. hmmm i wonder too

SSnow...
heres a pic of the passenger kick

Black Box A = 1 white clip, one black clip. but the wires are Big (10-12guage) and are coming straight from the firewall(engine bay)

Black Box B = 2 black "masses" but do not look like clips, then there is tons of other random clips... if i'm looking in the wrong spot let me know, i have the dash completely out so i can go wherever i need to.
never cut thoses.

you got the main dash harness for A, B is main 12V feed, you hold the relay for the heater motor.

on a caprice its clippped on the white plastic on the base of the B pillar.

I'm looking for a pic in my images, ill edit soon ill find it.

now this box size and shape is similar to the chime module (brown or green under the column). On a earlier caprice its locate on top of the column on the left, very hard to see, maybe they kept it there for d-body I dont know. but the box is in the dash, and will be the only one with a blue connector and black connector.

On my car I found the wiring is somehow long, and i relocated the box into the upper right dash, where there is suposed to be some relay or a flasher box from a 9c1 option. I traced a ground wire from the console to this place at a single switch,.

[ 01-12-2007, 12:03 AM: Message edited by: SSnow ]

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just out of curiosity... What's the problem with DRL's? Why do you want to get rid of them so badly?

I kinda like them...

*shrug?*

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
::ripping hair out:: that box you're showing, just doesn't exist in my car brother... i can see EVERything on the passenger side clearly and it's not there. i then looked all around the driver side and dropped the steering wheel, Nothing big and black like that with those connectors.

i've now tried every method i've read about with Nothing, i'm goin nuts

i hit a dead end like this with the LED flasher too :mad:

i do appreciate your help though, especially with the pics. anybody else have a clue?

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well Bill.. i've always liked being able to do the "lows" alone.
also i don't like so much unnecessary headlight use, especially once i get the HIDs in.

and when i want something to go away and it wont? i begin to hate it. lol

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Originally posted by CustomCaddys:
there is a post on here by saint that had two links from cadillacforums.com
i don't know if anyone realized, but it was a dead end..
sorry SSnow, plan B was actually A.. those links are dead ends.
one guy was having the same problems as me when trying all the methods, and the last thing said was "well you should try to find the DRL diode and unplug that" and i already tried that.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This thing interest me, I would like to get my hands on a D-Body FSM..

One another way to find it is to folow the wiring from the light switch to anything looking like a box..

then hack it

or what about brake.. DRL are not suppose to be on when starting the car, with the parking brake engaged. as soon you remove it the DRL turns on.

There's a switch on the parking brake assy, find a way to disable it, so the car wont ever know you released parking brake, keeping the DRL off, but turing on the parking dash light.. shut this one off and you wont know there's a problem in the brake system, but you could only rely on the ABS one, since it will signal brakes failure before or along with the brake light. Better to find the module..

[ 01-12-2007, 02:38 AM: Message edited by: SSnow ]

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This is derived from the First link:

posted by DaveSmed: "The easiest way to disable the Daytime Running lights on a RWD Fleetwood is by unplugging the DRL relay in the Relay Center shown below"

I tried that, didn't do a thing.

posted by DaveSmed: "Alternately, You could also unplug the DRL Diode assembly, which is located above the pedals by the brake light switch as shown in the diagram below"

Then i tried that, Still no change at all.

and the thread went dead.

The same stuff was said in the second link by DaveSmed, then 92Brougham posted: "it took me a few minutes to pull it out due the horrible positioning its in. i finally pulled it out and turned my twilight sentenial switch knob to the OFF position and started up the car and put it in drive....and the dam lights came on! these &^)%&^$$%#%#@^@)(*&@ DRLs!"

then they asked if it wasnt the T/S that was coming on, he verified it was not. then they weren't sure if he pulled the correct relay, he went back and matched up the colored wires to verify it was correct.

DaveSmed posted: "What the?! Hmm.... If its in a different spot, different revision maybe? Anyway, want to try for the Diode? above the pedals and its a heatsink about the size of a pack of cigarettes. Thats puzzling. with the relay out, to the DRLs still shut off with the parking brake?"

then the final post by DaveSmed: "I would try for the diode. With the relay out, does anything else in the vincinity of that power center click when the DRLS come on?"
then that one went dead too.

which by the way, i did try setting the parking brake before i turned the key forward.. not even That would stop these DRLs

not only that, but the "click" when the headlights go off and on was audible but did not seem to be localized (to just one relay?)

sorry for the long one, i'm just running off hate.. i'm about to get a picture that says "DRL" and throw darts at it. :rolleyes:

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yeah man, my buddy said that.. which i held as a last resort, but then when he set it (i made sure it was set before i even put the key in) the fuggers still came on..

1 - 20 of 29 Posts