Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
first take off the trim on the bumper
then with a razor blade slice the HARD plastic right down the middle

keep slicing the HARD Plastic and remove it til you see the gray color rubber under

then once you get off all the hard plastic your left with this

so in order to take off all the extra chrome stuff use wetsand 2000 grit with water

keep scrubbing till theres no more chrome left at all

MAKE SURE THE ABOVE STEPS ARE PROPERLY DONE...ITS ALL IN THE PREP WORK...

then spray them...i used krylon fuzion gloss black...(let sit for a day...just to be on the safeside)

then used some double sided molding tape

then applied the molding to the bumper...amazing

EXACTLY LIKE THE SS'S color matched molding...

this was done by me and myself only...so anyone can do it...takes a couple hours

·
Registered
340 Posts
indian folk are cool sir...LMFAO clean ass job by the way, you beat me to this write up lol

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
ad this to the cheap mods list

·
Registered
262 Posts
Perfect timing as i was planning on blacking out all the molding on my Caprice this weekend... Great pics too.

·
Registered
262 Posts
How hard/easy is it to take off the moldings?

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How hard/easy is it to take off the moldings?
super ez...lol pry one corner up/off and then lift up...

make sure you try to take off the old molding tape so the new one can stick better...use goo gone to take the old tape off

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
cut from back or front?

Do you slice through the chrome stuff on the back or the front? If the from the front, how do you keep from slicing into the strip?

Thanks- Dave

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Do you slice through the chrome stuff on the back or the front? If the from the front, how do you keep from slicing into the strip?

Thanks- Dave
itll splice the strip but since the blade is sooo sharp it will be hardly noticeable...then wetsanding and paint will cover it up...in the end you wont even notice the splice in the actual strip

·
Registered
787 Posts
I did the same but did not remove the hard plstic / cover,, Wet sanded with 400, primed , painted.. Been over 5 years since doing and no problems at all..
Roger

1 - 20 of 22 Posts