Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I want to be able to play my Ipod on my car stereo, wich is still the original Delco CD player/radio. Does anyone have ideas how I can do this? There's an extra AUX exit, and I've heared that this could be the USB channel, but how does this work? Are there conversion kits? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I have never had this option so may be wrong. If you have a aux port and it looks like same port as where you plug the headphones in on the Ipod you simply get a double male ended cord.

If not an option there is transmitters that you plug into the cigerette lighter and plug your Ipod into that and set both to none used radio channel. Im not a big fan of this system because the sound quality is not that good.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The aux buttons on the OEM decks of this era were used to control a separate CD changer. This input did not have a headphone jack associated with it.

I have seen posts in the past about somebody offering the service of modifying people's decks to add a jack for an aux input. Others did it themselves. They would open up their OEM radios and add a mini phono jack to the front of the radio. They tapped into the audio feed from the tape deck, I believe. I would not attempt this unless you are very comfortable around audio electronics.

96 White RMW, 55k mi
95 DGGM RMW, 50k mi
96 Blk Impala SS "Pepe" (with skunk stripes) - RIP
96 Gold Caprice Wagon - sold
85 Blue OCC - sold
85 Grey Delta 88 Royale Brougham - sold
84 Blue Delta 88 Royale Brougham - sold
78 Gold Caprice Wagon - sold

·
Registered
317 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Hi guys,

I want to be able to play my Ipod on my car stereo, wich is still the original Delco CD player/radio. Does anyone have ideas how I can do this? There's an extra AUX exit, and I've heared that this could be the USB channel, but how does this work? Are there conversion kits? Thanks in advance.
I had an AUX port added to mine on my 93 RMW and it looks great. Contact this guy on Ebay. User BARLOSAL

He can rebuild yours (new lights, belts etc) and add a port for cheap, or he can send you an identical unit rebuilt with the port.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the help. Unfortenately, I live in the Netherlands. So, fixen my radio by the handy guy is not an option. I think, I'll take my changes and open the radio and try it. Does anyone have a step by step walkthrough for changing the AUX into an Ipod channel?

·
Premium Member
4,545 Posts
Hi, it won't on an original 96-95 radio CD in a Caprice Impala .

The AUX on the CD equipped radio was to run an external cassette

That is to say the cassette equipped original theftloc delco radio can run an Ipod through one of those adapters , BUT a CD equipped original theftloc delco radio did not have "the brains" to run one.

The the only way I know around this , and have control of the Ipod from the dash is either
Get a original cassette player type radio or
Get the CD radio from a 2002 Camaro or S10 truck.

They have the same appearance as the stock radio but have the ability to operate the Ipod .

I have done this with a PAC and the later radio
Looking on their sight , it seems the exact part I bought has been replaced by
Pac-Audio.com Product Details | iPod Integration for your car and More by Pac-Audio - Connecting you to the future

Now all this said, mine is 80%
Most of the time it works seamlessly with volume, selection, etc.
Other times the Ipod starts and is on "pause"
I have to pick up the Ipod and start it and then the radio will not let me change songs.
Turning everything off, unplugging Ipod usually will correct but not always.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm searching for 2002 Camaro CD/radios on eBay and seeing dates starting in 1995. Are you saying ONLY the 2002 Camaro/S10 radio? If not, is there a year and model range? Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
4,545 Posts
I'm searching for 2002 Camaro CD/radios on eBay and seeing dates starting in 1995. Are you saying ONLY the 2002 Camaro/S10 radio? If not, is there a year and model range? Thanks again.
I think it is 2000ish to 2002 ?
Somewhere I have the info, I will go digging

There are specific part numbers that do work.
If I recall, all the ones that work have cooling fans on the back , but just because there is a fan does not mean it will work.
Only that if there is no fan, it will not

1 - 16 of 16 Posts