Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to remove the console hump bracket. I haven't looked yet, but I assume they are glued or heat welded on there? What is the secret for removal?

Thanks, looking to try to do this tonight,

Doug

·
Registered
7,809 Posts
They don't make that thing no more, so mayhaps can put in FS if removed carefully enough. Just saying.

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Doug, I believe they are spot welded to the floor pan.

Jason.
Awesome....LOL...How the hell do I pull it without drilling holes in my floor? :)

They don't make that thing no more, so mayhaps can put in FS if removed carefully enough. Just saying.
Yah, I want to remove it as safe as possible and likely sell it to help fund other parts of my build. I know I see them sold used from time to time, so I figure there has to be a decent way to pull it without hurting it or the car.

Thanks for the input so far guys!

Doug

·
Registered
10,948 Posts
I butchered the hell out of a 96 to get the console bracket out of it. It was going to china anyway. The spot weld cutter would have to be PRETTY shallow in order for it it to inflict no damage. The console bracket will also be stuck around the welds from heat.. Also paint (The cars were painted with the bracket in place)

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So you guys are saying it is a huge pain in the ass and might not happen without effing up the tunnel?...Pretty much what I figured

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Drill it out or hammer and chisel. Are you removing from your car and don't want to damage it or from a parts car?
Taking it out of my 44k mile 96 SS so I can run a different console, so I am trying to do it as safe as possible.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
Either your floor pan is going to take some damage keeping the bracket nice, or you are going to mess up the bracket keeping the floor nice.

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Either your floor pan is going to take some damage keeping the bracket nice, or you are going to mess up the bracket keeping the floor nice.
That sums it up pretty well, thanks Jay

Sounds like the bracket will be going in the recycle bin rather than the sale bin.

Thanks,

Doug

·
Registered
785 Posts
a steady hand and watchful eye and you should be able to drill out the welds without hitting the tunnel. you may scuff the tunnel a little but not directly put a hole thru it.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Yea... You could use a drill bit that's bigger then the welds itself to weeken them... If you take your time you can cut thru the weld then just split the to panels with a chisel or a small flat pry bar and some taps from a hammer....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts