Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
95 Imp
Got The Shaft Sepperated From Box And Fire Wall. What Is The Best Way To Get The Stock Shaft Out?. Its Got That Big Plastic Shroud On It And The Brake Line Tuck It In Between The Upper A-arm Mount Area.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
got it -- took my angle grinder and cut the shroud off -- pride the shaft out of the shroud and came rite out the harder part was getting that shroud out

·
Registered
11,239 Posts
The shroud keeps wires from rubbing on the shaft, chafing and causing a short. You really should put another one on. They are not that hard to install, you just have to work at it a little. Put it on the shaft before you install it.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
The shaft is two piece, one half slides into the other. It gets pretty stiff over time. First soak the area where the two shafts join with penatrating oil, then use a large screw driver as a lever at the end on the steering box. Once you think its free it is not, there is a dimple on the end of the input shaft coming out of the steering box, you just gotta slide it together a little more.

You can see the dimple on the end of the steering box input shaft here

http://image.carcraft.com/f/16738417/ccrp_0901_04_z+steering_box_upgrade+steering_box_repair.jpg

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
That huge plastic cover was just clipped to the steering box feed lines... All you had to do was pull it up and forrward to unclip it from the line. I just took this apart in my parts car. No cutting and no tools required to slide it up and out of the way. If you've undone the firewall the upper shaft is just held in by spring pressure and pulls apart from the lower half out through the interior. Then the plastic cover comes right off. I'd take pictures but I'm 3 states away from the car.

- Brian.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
mine was not so easy. yours must not have the abs lines that are tightly woven around the shaft.

·
Registered
11,239 Posts
Mine has the antilocks, and it was the same as fuzzcar's. Put one back or you will end up with a chaffed wire, which equals something not working. They put it there for a reason, which is reason enough to put it back on. Everybody rationalizes things they do/do not want to do, and when things go bad they complain.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the concern about wires, hoses and ect, rubbing on shaft.
I definitely ain't putting that cover back on but I will pay close attention to make sure nothing is touching. I might have overlooked a wire or something its so tight I have already had to put a crease in one of the tubes of my headers so the shaft wouldn't rub. thanks again

·
Registered
150 Posts
thanks for the concern about wires, hoses and ect, rubbing on shaft.
I definitely ain't putting that cover back on but I will pay close attention to make sure nothing is touching. I might have overlooked a wire or something its so tight I have already had to put a crease in one of the tubes of my headers so the shaft wouldn't rub. thanks again

You are gonna want that cover back on.
It protects and most importantly it reminds people who work on it about the air bags, via WARNING!!!
I am currently working on my steering gear and it takes 2 seconds to remove that link on my 96'.
Compress it and slide the whole thing to the firewall.
Tilt it down and slide it towards the front of the car.
Go over the pitman arm and under the brake lines and coolant lines.
As you slide it to the front like that, start pulling the end towards the passenger side.
Walla!!! Its out.
You can do all of that under the hood, no need to go under the car.
I greased mine, wiped it down and put it in the same way reverse of the above, takes the same amount of time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts