Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of pulling out the engine and tranny as a unit from the car but i ran into a couple of problems.
1st: cherry picker hits license plate before the arm is in the middle of motor.
2nd: can't / unsure of how to take tranny mount off cause the cross beam in the way.

I took the nut off the rear tranny mount but the actual mount bolt is stuck in the cross beam and when I tried to jack up the tranny, it seemed the 2x4s were denting the pan and the tranny wasn't really lifting.

Whats the best way of taking off the tranny mount and the cross beam?

Thinking of now pulling the motor and tranny separately.

·
Registered
7,999 Posts
I am in the process of pulling out the engine and tranny as a unit from the car but i ran into a couple of problems.
1st: cherry picker hits license plate before the arm is in the middle of motor.
2nd: can't / unsure of how to take tranny mount off cause the cross beam in the way.

I took the nut off the rear tranny mount but the actual mount bolt is stuck in the cross beam and when I tried to jack up the tranny, it seemed the 2x4s were denting the pan and the tranny wasn't really lifting.

Whats the best way of taking off the tranny mount and the cross beam?

Thinking of now pulling the motor and tranny separately.
1st: Your Cherry Picker may not have a long enough arm. There are some that extend out but understand as they do, the weight capacity decreases. My CP or Lift was fine on the Caprice going from the front and with my Tilter on there it was a close fit at the Friont bumper. But the same lift on my '70 Monte with a long nose, I had to get creative. I went in from the side, lifted the Engine and pulled the lift/engine out sideways. Essencially, the legs of the lift were stradleing the LF tire. I could have rented or bought a lift with the extensions but this worked fine.

2nd: the trans mount is sandwiched between the Trans and the Crossmember. find a safe place to jack up the back of the trans just enuff to take the weight off the Crossmember (CM) and unbolt it from the CM then unbolt it from the trans and remove. Remove the 4 bolts/nuts that mount the CM to the frame and finagle that beast out of there. It can be tricky getting the CM out, but if you keep sliding the sides back and forth you should be able to get it to clear and drop it out of the way. FYI - If you can get one, the Tubular CM for our car makes this a piece o cake and you will lose a few pounds too.

EDIT - If you cant get to the mount bolts on the trans, remove the mount bolt on the CM along with the 4 bolts for the CM to frame. Then with the trans still supported, you should be able to slide the CM back and forth/sideways in the frame to access the bolts that hold the mount to the trans.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
I find with my hoist I have to remove the bumper.

Like 4doorSS says, remove the whole transmission member.

-Brian

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
The design of the transmission cross member and mount is very poor. It makes servicing a PITA!

If the cross member bolted to the bottom of the chassis, one could just loosen the bolts and remove the mount.

Same w/ the front engine mounts, no access holes to put a socket on the bolts holding them to the front cross member.

OUCH GM>

·
Registered
12,353 Posts
Be careful with your trans mount, the new ones available from the local parts store may be substantially taller, and not allow the support to fit under the stud. I know the 91-93s have this issue.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.