Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read of a lot of different ways to remove oxidation from your headlights and a lot of different products that are also supposed to do this. Anyone got any tips on what works best and how you restore your sun damaged headlights like new again?

· Registered
2,090 Posts
Well what i do is take either 1000 or 1500 grit sandpaper and wetsand them down, takes a little time then after desired affect is achieved i take my orbital buffer and some light polishing compund and buff em out..aprox 750-1000 rpm or so

· Registered
2,090 Posts
Where you at in Florida? i see BFE and i think thats where i live lol

· Registered
250 Posts
Although I have never used it, Meguiars make a headlight restoration kit.

http://www.meguiars.com/estore/product_list.cfm?sectionname=Consumer%20(Meguiar's%20Brand)>Clear%20Plastic%20Care&sectionID=15101

· Registered
56 Posts

· Registered
285 Posts
Wet sanding would be the last resort.

That resto kit should suffice. GM actually knew what they were doing in the 90's:
do it after a wash! Mask off everything around the lens, use a some pressure on the first few passes then ease up on the final passes.

If you have to wet sand before polishing. TAPE OVER THE SOCKET HOLES. Use 2000-3000 wraped around a soft rubber sanding pad and sand in straight lines going the same direction.

I used only a mothers mini powerball with meguiars plastX. It worked great on my 92.

· Registered
2,090 Posts
ill post pics of my old camaro lights when im not on a govt computer that blocks photobucket

· Registered
285 Posts
GM probably used ****tier plastic in 01. My brothers 00 and 02 silverados had some very badly oxidized taillights that actually needed wetsanding. Compounds wouldn't faze them.

B Bodies have better plastics than that and require much, much less work to restore... But we have no idea of the condition of the lenses being questioned. So you could be right... For all we know it could just be a layer of dirt.

Thread starter; post a pic of a headlight!!

· Registered
2,090 Posts
Before:

After:

· Registered
13 Posts
I used Meguiar's PlastX on the wife's FoMoCo product. You can find it at WalMart, auto stores, etc. The lenses were so cloudy I'm surprised she could drive at night. They do cloud up again within a few months, though, so a clear coat after cleaning does seem to be a necessity.

PlastX also did a nice job cleaning up my RMS guage plastic.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.