Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm installing a floor shift setup and I've found a passenger side seat to put in place of my drivers seat. I was looking for information on how to flip the recline handle and linkage to the other side. The seat is out of 1996 caprice.

I'm at step one. I cant figure out how to remove the recline handle its self. How does it come off?? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
I'm at step one. I cant figure out how to remove the recline handle its self. How does it come off?? Thanks.
There is a C clip on the recline handle. Push the upholstery back on the inside of the handle and you will see it. Use a pick or maybe needle nose pliers to pull it off. They have a tendency to fly away. Be careful.

·
Registered
11,473 Posts
The clip is the same type as a manual door crank. You can use the same tool. You have to split the back off of the handle vertically at the center. They have a tendency to break easily. If you break it, I have a couple of tan ones. Practice on the old seat.

You can swap the recline mechanism to the other side of the seat if you want to retain the recline function.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The clip is the same type as a manual door crank. You can use the same tool. You have to split the back off of the handle vertically at the center. They have a tendency to break easily. If you break it, I have a couple of tan ones. Practice on the old seat.

You can swap the recline mechanism to the other side of the seat if you want to retain the recline function.
Thanks Fred. I'll let you know if I need another tan handle.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got it done

I managed to swap the recline handle and shaft over. I did not have a camera to take pictures and I really can't write down how to do it. It took me about 6 different attempts and pulling out my current drivers seat to compare. It ended up being so simple I'm almost emabarresed to say it took so many tries.

What to do it first pull the recline handle off, Unseat the springs, punch out the pin holding the shafts togther, remove e-clips, pull out the shorter shaft. The longer shaft has a washer peened to the outside to retain it in place, I tore the washer off. I don't think you will need to reuse it. Pull the longer shaft out. This is where trial and error for my swap began but you just have to change everything one one side to the other. Damn i wish I would have taken pictures to help someone out in the future.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts