Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve recently switched to a torqhead system. When scanning my car there is no readout for Idle cracker, oil pressure, O2 sensors, or fuel level. I have the pids loaded, but it’s not registering in the scan and oil pressure is -15.4. Is this normal? Any help appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Fuel Level and oil pressure are not wired to the computer in the original harness. I thought idle cracker was for drive by wire throttle bodies. You should have IAC counts for the cable throttle. Not sure which O2 you're trying to view. If you're trying to watch the second set they don't exist in a 95.

-Brian

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Sorry just actually looked at your screen shot. You can't graph any data if it's not I. The list of things being scanned on the LH white page. That's why O2mv, Inj Duty Cycle and a couple other things have no graph data.

-Brian

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Sshockr. I didn’t realize that the oil and fuel weren’t wired. I was trying to read the voltage on the front o2 sensors. I added idle cracker after reading the hp forums on an issue I’m having with the torqhead tune. The car doesn’t slow down ( kinda acts like it’s in cruise control) when the accelerator pedal is lifted and coasting. That was one of the things suggested to check in a post about a 96 camaro with the Torqhead. The picture didn’t load completely unfortunately. Unless you were able to see it? I’ve added a pic of the white list I’m using.
Blue Font Parallel Screenshot Rectangle

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
I would edit this list to remove oil pressure, idle cracker and fuel level. Won't get any useful data from them anyway. Then add the bank 1&2 O2 mv if you wish. I've found with the hangi g on throttle close, I've got to watch the IAC counts. If they seem to hang wide open for a while this likely needs to be tuned to close faster. I am still struggling a throttle hang when the motor is cold. Once warm I don't have this issue.

-Brian

Reactions: blueallie

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would edit this list to remove oil pressure, idle cracker and fuel level. Won't get any useful data from them anyway. Then add the bank 1&2 O2 mv if you wish. I've found with the hangi g on throttle close, I've got to watch the IAC counts. If they seem to hang wide open for a while this likely needs to be tuned to close faster. I am still struggling a throttle hang when the motor is cold. Once warm I don't have this issue.

-Brian
Thank you for the tips

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Not sure if this newer PCM has a dashpot feature broken out yet like Ford stragegies. For the 91 and 95 stragegies, I find you can manipulate it with the table for IAC count vs coolant temp. If your strategy still has that table, might want to give a try.
The older ones target the table first, then Desired RPM vs RPM decays it down. Closer the table values are to actual idling steps, the quicker it drops to desired rpm.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Leave cracker alone for the time being.
“Cruise-control” off throttle is frequently caused by too much base running airflow.
Getting your base running airflow values dialed in can help resolve a number of issues.
Start there before you dive down the other rabbit holes.
Google “RussK idle config” to find the resources to help you easily graph idle desired air vs. ECT

I would get your fueling close first before you begin dialing in base running airflow.
Remember that it is an iterative process

Also, Bookmark this for future reference Idle Tuning Using Hptuners

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Leave cracker alone for the time being.
“Cruise-control” off throttle is frequently caused by too much base running airflow.
Getting your base running airflow values dialed in can help resolve a number of issues.
Start there before you dive down the other rabbit holes.
Google “RussK idle config” to find the resources to help you easily graph idle desired air vs. ECT

I would get your fueling close first before you begin dialing in base running airflow.
Remember that it is an iterative process

Also, Bookmark this for future reference Idle Tuning Using Hptuners
Thanks! Good stuff!

·
Registered
682 Posts
Looks like someone fat-fingered those values, but they are limited to 1600-2800rpm at 64 mph.
The other photo you posted shows IAC position at 2 at hot idle, meaning the IAC is nearly completely closed. Usually those counts are around 30-60 or so at hot idle. Hard to make conclusions from a photo of a datalog, but I still think you’ll get the “cruise control” sorted by dialing in your base running airflow

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Looks like someone fat-fingered those values, but they are limited to 1600-2800rpm at 64 mph.
The other photo you posted shows IAC position at 2 at hot idle, meaning the IAC is nearly completely closed. Usually those counts are around 30-60 or so at hot idle. Hard to make conclusions from a photo of a datalog, but I still think you’ll get the “cruise control” sorted by dialing in your base running airflow
Thanks cappy p. The only thing I’ve touched is the gearing, tire size, and fan control. I figured I’d smooth out this table and work on the base airflow. Still researching on what to look for and what to change change it to. Lots of reading for sure lol! Thanks for the advice!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts