Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I posted this in electrical and got no response. I tend to have more success here in our beloved wagon section anyway. There used to be info or links here on installing a Bonneville HUD in a B body but with search being trashed I was hoping someone would have some info on this. So, can anybody shed some light on this project? Thanks.

·
Registered
511 Posts
DON'T KNOW IF THIS HELPS...

I was looking into it a few years ago as part of a dash swap. I was going to use a corvette dash in a 93 caprice wagon. The issue at the time was I was using a Corvette 730 ecm which is OBD1 and the laster year corvette system with Heads Up Display (HUD) needed an OBD2 system.The data streams were not then and are not now compatible.

I believe you have an OBD 2 system, which would be the first step in compatibility. I'd look there as your first step to make sure the HUD will understand the data stream of your ECM.

One of the issues may be reflectivity of your windshield. I've never looked close enough to see if there is an area on the Vettes (or Bonnies) that is akin to a flash mirroring on them to make the display more visible. You might have some concerns with how visible it may be on a conventional windshield.

You might try the camro/firebird site at www.thirdgen.c and the few Vette sites and search to see you has retro fiited similar dashes. (probably need to join to use the search functions) I'm assuming you are less concerned with the physical installation and more concerned with all those electrons wizzing around to the correct places.

·
Super Moderator
9,450 Posts
Briefly;

I was pretty close to installing one from a '93 Bonneville SSEi. The wiring is very easy; 7 or 8 wires and you're done. I used a low fuel light circuit from a TBI caprice to power the low fuel light input.

There are two versions of Bonneville HUDs - one with a mechanical aim adjustment (cable) and one electronic. Either one can be used. 97-00 Gran Prixes had a similiar setup that's probably usable.

What turned me off on the install was that you basically have to sink it into where the big channel is that runs across the rear of the dash, and relocate a bunch of wires. It's much easier if you can have the windshield off while you're doing it. It's a whole lot of work, and make sure you don't cut through anything critical. Also, measure about 10x before cutting the dash pad.

To me, the finished product wasn't worth the time investment, and I wasn't going to pull the windshield to do it, so I just sold the whole thing. It was already wired up and everything.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Got mine out of a Grand Prix.
Did it in my 91 wagon and didn't cut the sheet metal like booth did. But I did cut a large hole in the dash pad then build a small cover to snap over the HUD. Dropped the cable under the dash and mounted the adjustment panel up under the dash since I'm the only one driving and its not something you mess with after you have it set to your likeing.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have one without the adjustment cable. The connections are just wires. Someone here had done it before and it looked pretty straightforward. I don't remember having to cut the firewall though and from what i've seen with the dash pad off, it might have to be done to make this work. Obviously, i'm missing something. If I had known then what i know now, I would have saved the link.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.