Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Premium Member
LT1 to 383 rebuild - Trick Flow 195 Gen X Heads - CompCams LT1 XR276HR12 - 32lb injectors - 1.5 Rock
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello. Looking for recommendations based on install, use and experience. Considering these two shifters. Both look to work with the 96SS given our 4 speed trans and console set up. I'm interested to know if the B&M ratchet option would work better with the console glove box angle or if the Hurst Pistol has acceptable clearance and comfortable access when in first as well as any pictures and lessons learned on adapting to the console. Any of the above would be appreciated. Also - searched and believe I read all the past shifter posts on this topic but they are somewhat dated except this one - 96 SS floor shifter upgrade. Some good information in there.

Font Art Knee Rectangle Brand

Output device Font Gadget Cable Event

Premium Member
LT1 to 383 rebuild - Trick Flow 195 Gen X Heads - CompCams LT1 XR276HR12 - 32lb injectors - 1.5 Rock
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Huge fan of the old school Lightening Rods. Are they even manufactured today?Where did you find yours - retrofit pick from a Cutlass 442? Thought they would be too wide for the console but obviously not given your clean install. How much customization of the console was needed?

Registered
Unfortunately not my install so couldn't say, my one is a 6 speed hurst stick

If you have a 96 console then you can most likely get away with just modifying the removable piece, with a 94 / 95 console it'll be more challenging for sure. As for the functionality someone else will have to chip in, you may have luck finding some people in the FB groups who've run it also.

Car Vehicle Plant Mirror Motor vehicle

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
@toonwarrior - Recently sold my Viper and miss the manual already. Having shifter remorse 馃榾. Your set up is clean as hell. Well done.

• Love
Reactions: toonwarrior

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can鈥檛 find Lightening Rods for sale anywhere. Anyone have a line on a set please let me know. Did find this shifting diagram of interest.
Font Paper Design Document Pattern

Premium Member

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Good idea. Leaning that way. They have some other options like the Ratchet Big Bitch shifter. So many choices 馃榾.

Gadget Automotive design Automotive exterior Font Automotive tire

• Wow
Reactions: toonwarrior

Registered
Much to "busy" looking for me....

Registered
Manually shifting an automatic is overrated. Dragracing? Leave in Drive... Auto-x? Leave in "2"....

Reactions: Johnny Kay

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)

Registered
If you are expecting "true manual" shifting have a look at :
Turning a 4L60E into a Manually Shifted Transmission:
Not how I'd do it, but still, to use the word 'impressive' is damning by too faint praise.
Manually shifting an automatic is overrated. Dragracing? Leave in Drive ... Auto-x? Leave in "2" ...
With a 2.563 axle, drag race in '2', autocross in '1'.

Actually, in both cases, as well as just about any case where the use of the overrun clutches are not expressly desired, it would be better for the 4L60E's longevity and durability to reprogram the transmission's shift points so that, during the 'event', the shifter can stay in 'OD'.

Learned this 'cause of my wagon's 2.563 axle.
Wanted to know how much MpG 3.73 would cost me, made the mistake of driving in 'D' for 2 weeks.
I mean, one could argue that the 3rd gear overrun clutch in a 2.563 car is not that useful anyway.
My 4L60E needed a rebuild about 2 weeks later.
The 4L60E'd've been better off had the shift points been adjusted to completely avoid 4th.

Refer to
Even if you disagree, you'll at least see my point.

I can understand why many people would just use the shifter.
Fact remains, better for the 4L60E if the shift points are adjusted for the desired behavior.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
All good points. Thank you for the knowledgeable and detailed opinion. In my case I鈥檓 running with a LT1 to 383 stroker, Cahill Pro Race Trans with 2800-3200 ProTorque stall and 3:73 rear gears. The Cahill team advises what you suggest . . 謮 put it in OD, leave it there and let it eat. I鈥檓 considering the shifter upgrade more for me just to have something fun and different to mess around with. Also wanted to see if I could create a fixed physical locking point to use a hitch lock or similar to secure the car from being moved from Park as a theft deterrent. Have to research past posts to see if anyone has done something like this before. Going to be dialing in the tune next week and may get into the shift points . . . but probably will just leave it where it is for drivability. Thanks again for the input fellas . . . to each his own right 馃憤

Registered
Going to be dialing in the tune next week and may get into the shift points ... but probably will just leave it where it is for drivability.
Thanks again for the input fellas ... to each his own right 馃憤
In the sense that we prefer not to daily drive Toyodor kurolluhs and murder our automotive enthusiasm, yea, to each his own.
In the sense that separate and distinct tunes for autoX / drag racing / road racing vs the standard tune that you'd be willing to share with family and friends under more banal circumstances is worth the time it takes to write it plus the two minutes per pcm rewrite, I'd regret not saying:

Even with a 383 LT1 with 3.73, to each circumstance, its own tune variant will pay dividends in 4L60E lifespan.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts