Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
LT1 to 383 rebuild - Trick Flow 195 Gen X Heads - CompCams LT1 XR276HR12 - 32lb injectors - 1.5 Rock
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello. Looking for recommendations based on install, use and experience. Considering these two shifters. Both look to work with the 96SS given our 4 speed trans and console set up. I'm interested to know if the B&M ratchet option would work better with the console glove box angle or if the Hurst Pistol has acceptable clearance and comfortable access when in first as well as any pictures and lessons learned on adapting to the console. Any of the above would be appreciated. Also - searched and believe I read all the past shifter posts on this topic but they are somewhat dated except this one - 96 SS floor shifter upgrade. Some good information in there.

Font Art Knee Rectangle Brand

Output device Font Gadget Cable Event

·
Premium Member
LT1 to 383 rebuild - Trick Flow 195 Gen X Heads - CompCams LT1 XR276HR12 - 32lb injectors - 1.5 Rock
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Huge fan of the old school Lightening Rods. Are they even manufactured today?Where did you find yours - retrofit pick from a Cutlass 442? Thought they would be too wide for the console but obviously not given your clean install. How much customization of the console was needed?

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
@toonwarrior - Recently sold my Viper and miss the manual already. Having shifter remorse 😀. Your set up is clean as hell. Well done.

• Love
Reactions: toonwarrior

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can’t find Lightening Rods for sale anywhere. Anyone have a line on a set please let me know. Did find this shifting diagram of interest.
Font Paper Design Document Pattern

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Good idea. Leaning that way. They have some other options like the Ratchet Big Bitch shifter. So many choices 😀.

Gadget Automotive design Automotive exterior Font Automotive tire

• Wow
Reactions: toonwarrior

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
All good points. Thank you for the knowledgeable and detailed opinion. In my case I’m running with a LT1 to 383 stroker, Cahill Pro Race Trans with 2800-3200 ProTorque stall and 3:73 rear gears. The Cahill team advises what you suggest . . ։ put it in OD, leave it there and let it eat. I’m considering the shifter upgrade more for me just to have something fun and different to mess around with. Also wanted to see if I could create a fixed physical locking point to use a hitch lock or similar to secure the car from being moved from Park as a theft deterrent. Have to research past posts to see if anyone has done something like this before. Going to be dialing in the tune next week and may get into the shift points . . . but probably will just leave it where it is for drivability. Thanks again for the input fellas . . . to each his own right 👍

1 - 8 of 8 Posts