Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this one's a total mystery. My 96 RMW has the C68 full auto temp module option. Tonight when shutting my car off, it seems power stays on to the module (it is supposed to shut off when KEY is OFF). My blower actually stays running. In some cases, i could actually change settings even with my key removed. I tried pulling the fuse (32 or 36 I think) and it shut the blower off, but when you stick it back in, it comes back on. I tried pulling the ground on my battery. Blower obviously will cut out, but hook it back up and it comes back on.

Any ideas? I have Fords (1990 CV and 1991 Mustang GT) that did quirky electrical stuff like this when their ignition switches were bad. I replaced the ignition switch maybe 7-8 years ago.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Blower is different in 96 RM

This is way different than older cars.
Your ignition idea is a good start,

New Page 1
(Goldsswagon link)
Look at power distribution 3/4
If you are correct fuses 16,17,18,20 will be hot at all times (key on or key off). This would mean that you can run your power windows with the key off (breaker #2 key in run).

If the key run circuit works normally I would think you have a control head problem, wire issue or Blower motor control module. As a guess if you unplug the control head and the blower stops it might mean the Blower motor control module works and the head or it's wires are at fault. See also Goldsswagon's Roadmaster auto AC diagram. A 96 FSM would have trouble shooting charts to help you.

·
Registered
10,905 Posts
You have two electronic parts in the system. The AC head unit and the blower control module. You also have the ignition switch. There are three fused wires to the system. One wire to the head unit is switched by the ignition and hot in run only. One that is hot at all times to the head unit, and one that is hot at all times going to the motor control unit. If the hot in run fuse is hot at all times, the system will not shut off. I do not know the fuse number on a 94-96. If the "hot in run" fuse is hot at all times, you have a problem before the fuse. That would indicate the switch or a wire shorted to another "hot at all times" wire.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
i just had similar problem. turned out to be my resistor module was junk. put new in and it was fixed. pretty quick fix. just 3 lil 6mm (may be 5.5 mm) bolts and it was solved. try get one at a junkyard. may be able to pocket it and save yourself some money just to get by til you need to buy the new $110 dollar one... must be made of gold.

·
Registered
10,905 Posts
i just had similar problem. turned out to be my resistor module was junk. put new in and it was fixed. pretty quick fix. just 3 lil 6mm (may be 5.5 mm) bolts and it was solved. try get one at a junkyard. may be able to pocket it and save yourself some money just to get by til you need to buy the new $110 dollar one... must be made of gold.
The screws are 5.5mm and the 96 RMs do not have a resistor module. They have an electronic control module, and they are big enough that you can not sneak them out of a yard.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, it was the blower module/resistor. I pulled one from a 93 RMW in a good local yard and it was the same original part number (16173860). I gave him $15 for it and that's fair. Here's a question. The one from the 93 with the C68 option was a 3 pin / 1 pin design. There was another one from a 92 RMW with the C68 option with a 4 pin / 2 pin design, part number 12484912. I grabbed the 3-1 part rather than the 4-2 one, but I saw a forum that said maybe the 4-2 one would have worked???

·
Registered
10,905 Posts
I never thought there were two different parts in the cars. I have used them without any concern as to part number/pinout. Either I got lucky and got the ones that worked with my cars, or they all work with all of the cars.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
from what I saw doesn't really matter which part you use. I used one out of a 96 RMS in my 92 and it worked fine. I think the one is just a later redesign but who know with engineers runnin the world.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
The screws are 5.5mm and the 96 RMs do not have a resistor module. They have an electronic control module, and they are big enough that you can not sneak them out of a yard.
not bein a d!ck cuz I know you probly know more about the parts than me :D but i did git mine out of a 96 limited... i may have misnamed the part but it was the lil aluminum finned thingy in the box beside the squirrel cage. maybe you know the proper name for it? it was just an edumukated guess on my part.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts