Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had started a HVAC thread before the big '09 crash. Someone was helping me with it and I've got another question. Amick was helpful with some input from what I remember. We have had a new system installed. We got an Amana outdoor unit model # ASZ140301AE and air handler unit model # AEPF313716AA. My wife was freaking out when she saw the 14 seer rating on the outdoor unit. Can you tell from the model #'s if it's a 15 seer unit? I know it's a 2 stage unit, and it's supposed to be a 15 total seer system. TIA!

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Model# ASZ140301AE is a 14 seer 2.5 ton unit.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Well you can sometimes get .5-1 SEER by adding a variable speed air handler (or furnace) installed, it increases because the blower (generally) uses less power.

SEER rating is kind of a myth, sort of like the rated MPG cars get. SEER is determined in a lab under certain conditions, you could get better efficiency, but it's much more likely it'll be slightly less.

The difference between 14 and 15 are probably barely noticeable. Set the t-stat back .5 degree's and you'd probably save more. Now if it was 13 SEER vs 18, then you'd likely notice a difference.

So is this a heat pump or just air conditioner?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts