Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '94 Caprice wagon has recently become harder to start (needs 5-6 rotations before firing off instead of the usual 2-3), and yesterday when accelerating into traffic, it cut out near the top of second gear (~5500rpm.. and it has 4.10 gears, so no I wasn't going 100mph at the time). This feels like a bad fuel pump (my old '96 RMW did about the same thing when its fuel pump was dying) so I was planning on just replacing it unless you guys think there's anything else that's worthwhile to check with those symptoms. It's got the usual heads / cam / intake / exhaust bolt-ons, so any recommendation as to which fuel pump I should order? Rockauto has a "high performance" Autobest-brand pump. More Information for AUTOBEST HP2281 Or should I look for a traditional Walbro 255?

·
Registered
1995 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham
1,560 Posts
It's definitely possible that it's the fuel pump, but not certain.

My wagon began hard starting right before the Opti went out.

Before my first fuel pump failure, the car would intermittently act like it was out of gas. Sometimes it ran fine, and sometimes it was just like, "ugh, it's doing it again". I did the pump and sender and then the car was fine.

When my second fuel pump failed, it was completely asymptomatic until one day when I ran out of gas. The car wouldn't start back up, even after putting plenty of gas in the tank.

Not familiar with the Autobest pump, but it looks interesting. You can't go wrong with a Wally.

Whatever you do, make sure you replace the sender (assuming it hasn't been replaced recently). Many supposed fuel pump failures have actually been issues with the wiring. You definitely don't want to drop the tank any more often than you have to.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
If I were you I would buy a fuel pressure gauge and play around with it.

BUT... There's really no downside to replacing your pump and sender as preventative maintenance.

·
Registered
8,572 Posts
I always check sigs, and you appear to know your way around the car. So, I'm sure you know to run a fuel pressure test to weed out the fuel pump and FPR, v. anything electrical. If spark your symptoms could be the range from opti, ign. coil, ICM or even ECT sensor.

For a pump there's been little griping about a regular 'ol Spectra -- when it's installed correctly. Get either gary's harness or the 'slightly heavier than undersized and easily fried oem' one. IDR the name (??Airtex??) Also, of course a new sender. IDR the name.

Reactions: TheFleshRocket

·
Premium Member
5,779 Posts
If you go fuel pump with your not so stock set up,
BLT1 Fuel Pump Kit (RXP269)
Is a little costly at first glance but if you read carefully, it has all the bits , so to speak.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you go fuel pump with your not so stock set up,
BLT1 Fuel Pump Kit (RXP269)
Is a little costly at first glance but if you read carefully, it has all the bits , so to speak.
Pricey, but I like it. Good suggestion!

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fuel pressure guage taped to windshield + terror ride = information
If pressure drops, maybe start with a fuel filter and re run test.
You know, I do have a fuel rail pressure gauge. Might as well hook it up and see what happens!

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So, funny story. I rigged up a fuel pressure gauge, taped to my windshield. It stayed at 38 psi while cruising, 36 psi while coasting. The tank was almost empty so I filled up. I drove around without any issues, cutting out or starting. I got on it a few times.. fuel pressure jumped to around 45 psi and no hesitation. So I thought to myself, maybe it was bad gas. Then I thought about it a bit further, and remembered that a few weeks before, I had dumped some old gas from my kids' dirt bikes and poured it into the wagon, because I felt bad just pouring it on the ground. DUH. It was that old gas, dumped in when the gas tank was less than 1/4 full, that was causing the issues.

Reactions: Caddylack

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
So, funny story. I rigged up a fuel pressure gauge, taped to my windshield. It stayed at 38 psi while cruising, 36 psi while coasting. The tank was almost empty so I filled up. I drove around without any issues, cutting out or starting. I got on it a few times.. fuel pressure jumped to around 45 psi and no hesitation. So I thought to myself, maybe it was bad gas. Then I thought about it a bit further, and remembered that a few weeks before, I had dumped some old gas from my kids' dirt bikes and poured it into the wagon, because I felt bad just pouring it on the ground. DUH. It was that old gas, dumped in when the gas tank was less than 1/4 full, that was causing the issues.
Oops.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts