Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Apparently I cheesed off a few Fleetwood owners. Been looking for a replacement rear bumper rub strip for my Fleetwood since I bought it a year and a half ago. Mine came with both corners completely busted off, (a common issue apparently, not sure why though). I've scoured ebay off and on, called and emailed salvage yards all over the country and could never find an intact one for a reasonable price.

I've come close twice before, but for various reasons couldn't make it happen. It's been a few months now since I've looked for one and on a lark the other night while I was bored I searched ebay again and low and behold, there was one on there for a decent price. It was intact with very minimal damage, all of which should be easily repairable so I didn't even think twice and hit the buy it now.

Turns out the guy was originally from my town, but now lives a few hours away and as it happens he'll be visiting friends not too far away this weekend so we're going to make plans to meet up so I can get it from him. In one of his messages to me he mentioned that he's already had 3 different people contact him trying to get him to cancel the sale to me so that they could buy it.

So, if any of you happened to be watching that item and were hoping to get it for your car, ya snooze, ya lose. It's going on my car, no you can't have it, sorry, not sorry. :grin2:

Registered
First Rule About Cheesing Off Fleetwood Owners -

- Don't Talk About Cheesing Off Fleetwood Owners

It takes nothin' to set us off.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Talked to him on the phone this morning, seems like a very nice guy and extremely knowledgeable about the Fleetwoods. He's a member of a few car clubs in his area, LaSalle, etc, and uses his Fleet as a show car. Someone bumped into his and put a small scrape in the rub strip and last time he showed the car he was knocked a few points for that so he ordered a brand new one and put his old one up for sale. The damage is very minor and I looked at the pictures of it before buying and pretty sure I can repair it to where it'll be barely noticeable, and more than acceptable for a daily driver. We chatted for awhile on the phone about the cars and he gave me some pointers on a few different things, asked me a few questions about stuff I knew about them and also told me he'd bring with him a list of phone numbers of about 20 people he uses to get parts from for his show car. Could be a good source of hard to find parts should I need anything that I can't turn up on ebay or salvage yards.

His car is also apparently a little unique, he's the second owner with 40 something thousand miles on it, the original owner ordered it as a base model, but with the V4P tow package (I didn't think you could get that without the Brougham pkg, but I couldn't say for sure) and had the dealer add a landau top, E&G grille and Vogue wheel and tire package. I'm kind of interested to see the car, sounds like he'll be driving it when he comes to visit his friend near me. And now I can check off the last major, glaring cosmetic issue on my car.

Registered
... both corners completely busted off, (a common issue apparently, not sure why though). ....
About the time they invented the internet (and these cars were still new) most all carwashes still used whirling nylon brushes of varying skill at ripping pieces off your car. That leading edge looks like the perfect little cranny to get the tendrils caught up in after a smooth run across those long smooth quarters.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
About the time they invented the internet (and these cars were still new) most all carwashes still used whirling nylon brushes of varying skill at ripping pieces off your car. That leading edge looks like the perfect little cranny to get the tendrils caught up in after a smooth run across those long smooth quarters.
So what your saying, is after I swap the new one one, I should probably stop taking my car thru the carwash? Man that is such a huge car, I don't really want to wash it by hand. I was never really worried about it since I have the skinned roof and don't have to worry about wrecking that, but I also know that a carwash is still a less than ideal option, hand washing is always best. It's just such a huge car. The last car I washed by hand regularly was my little Sunbird convertible, and I'm so anal retentive that even that car took me hours and hours to wash, wax and detail. I'd usually just make a day of it.

Registered
Just don't use a wash with whirling brushes. I haven't seen one in 10 years. Otherwise, I enjoy cleaning the Fleetwood. It's never that dirty to begin with, and it only takes 20 minutes start to finish. Saving $8-12 for something I can do myself for 30cents is just a perq.

Registered
I have NEVER taken any car I car about (and I care about ALL of them) to any car wash of any kind. I wash my cars myself in the driveway. Kids these days, sheesh!

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
Just don't use a wash with whirling brushes. I haven't seen one in 10 years. Otherwise, I enjoy cleaning the Fleetwood. It's never that dirty to begin with, and it only takes 20 minutes start to finish. Saving $8-12 for something I can do myself for 30cents is just a perq.
The one I use does have whirling brushes, but I can't speak as to what they're made of. It did take a script emblem off my old FWD Caddy once, from the rear fender but that one was already loose and about to fall off. Wasn't too worried about it, had a full set of NOS emblems for that car and never had one of the new ones come off after I put them on. That car also had a skinned roof so I didn't mind using a car wash. Maybe before I put the new strip on I'll run the car through and grab a pic of what they use down there and get some feedback on whether I should avoid it.

On another note, met up with the guy a few days ago and got the rub strip. It's in fantastic condition and the few little imperfections could be easily corrected if I were inclined. He gave me some pointers on removing the old and installing the new, since it can be a somewhat delicate operation apparently. And he also had his list of contacts for me, some of which I already knew, but there were some interesting ones that I'll post up when I get a chance. And I swear he gave me a phone number for Bill (NavyLifer), but I haven't confirmed that yet. He just had a number, the first name, and that the guy was a genius with these cars, sounded like NavyLifer to me. He also knew nothing about this forum, so I told him he should check it out, lots of good info on here for our cars and already sent him a bunch of links.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts