Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just pick her up last night. I got a 1992 white RM woody wagon and I love it! The odometer only rolled to 124k on the way home.

I do have a few questions though. The oil gauge didn't read too high all the way home. Only around the 30 on the highway and dipped almost to the red when I let off the gas at my ramp 80 miles later. I checked and have plenty of oil, and the car seems to have plenty of motor. Are these gauges trustworthy or do I have a serious problem to worry about?

Also, the crossover is cracked and hisses. I'm gonna look at welding up the crack if I can get to it, but if it has to be replaced, is there a direct fit replacement crossover that will be an upgrade - like the 9c1 one?

Any other tips will also be greatly be appreciated. (And Yes I know it'd be a great time for duals!)

Thanks for the help guys - It feels good to finally "belong" here!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"I do have a fe questions though. The oil gauge didn't read too high all the way home. Only around the 30 on the highway and dipped almost to the red when I let off the gas at my ramp 80 miles later. I checked and have plenty of oil, and the car seems to have plenty of motor. Are these gauges trustworthy or do I have a serious problem to worry about?"

The most common cause for this is a bad sending unit. GM part# 10222130. List $54.27 (about $30.00 if you can get it for 10% over). You could always check actual pressure with test gauge before you spend the money though.

"Also, the crossover is cracked and hisses. I'm gonna look at welding up the crack if I can get to it, but if it has to be replaced, is there a direct fit replacement crossover that will be an upgrade - like the 9c1 one?"

The 9C1 crossover also requires the 9C1 cat. This is a 15HP bolt on. The 91 was rated at 195 hp and the 92-93 was rated at 205HP. If you do the math that's only 10HP, but GM also made a "correction" to the way they rated the 91 vs. 92-93. So it really is 15HP. Of course if you go with duals, all of this really doesn't matter.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When I called Murry's (yea, I know) they said the part number was the same for the 92 RMW y-pipe as it was for the 92 9c1. Is that because I was dealing with the bozos at Murry's or does the real increase in HP come from the different converter? Just wondering.

For the oil pressure issue, I think I'll just get a mechanical oil gauge for about $12 at the Zone and verify it that way since nobody seems to have a loaner tool.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The GM # for the crossover 9C1 is 10234907. This application is only used on 92 and 93 9C1s with the 5.7L 350s. List $134.00 (about $85.00 @10% over cost). GM still has plenty available, and remember that the factory piece is made out of fairly decent stainless steel. The GM 9C1 cat however is unbelievably priced. List $677.30 (about $525.00 @ 10% over) plus a $40.00 core charge.

The # for the original pipe is 10135474. The application does include 91 350ci 9C1s, as well as 91-93 305s and 350s without the 9C1 pkg. So maybe that's where Murray's screwed up. List $128.28 (about $81.00 @10 over.

If you do replace the y pipe. you also need the malleable donut seals to the manifold. GM # 14055405 List $7.70 ea. You will also want new studs and nuts, because it usually takes the gas wrench to get these off of fairly new cars, yet alone 10+ year old cars.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't think I'd EVER put bags on this car. That's not a good direction for it and I have too many other auto related moneypits to fart around with. Thanks though.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Before you spend money on throw-aways

Change the Oil !! who knows what viscosity is in there....or how long its been there. Put the right stuff in - fresh....then check your guage

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Welcome to the fold!

The first question I asked here, upon purchasing my 'new' 1995 wagon last fall, is....what's up with my oil pressure? Why is it so low...do I have a problem? Then I did a search on the question, and lo and behold...it is a very common problem. It is the unreliable sending unit that usually is the culprit. Mine has been changed once and still sits just at the top of the red when warm. There is a mod...you can do a search...that allows you to use a sending unit from a Chevy Truck, which apparently is more reliable than ours.

One invaluable tip...remove the rear plastic panels from your wagon. Look for rust inside the wheelwells. The passenger side has a drain hole you will see. The driver's side has a drain channel, but you cannot see it. It exits under the car. If it is plugged, you need to unplug it. If there is water, you need to figure out where it's coming from before it rusts out your rear quarter...a very common problem with our cars.
Good luck!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks man! So far I'm crazy about this car. My son just turned two and only wants to go in the wagon. We have both Good Friday and Good Monday off so I hope to have some extra time over the long weekend to chase down stuff like this.

Anybody know off hand what truck sending unit is the more reliable one?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.