Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's Up!
Well I finally got the time and initiative to raise my car and look for the "washer jingle" noise. I had a feeling it wasn't my End Links seeing as they aren't that old, and I changed my Front Brake Caliper bushings around the same time. So after a little grabbing and shaking of various things under the car, I decided to check the Rear Brake Calipers!
Low & Behold! My noise was the Anti-Rattle clips on the Rear Brake Pads! Both were sideways and hanging out of the Caliper, actually a quick fix, very cool!

Moral of my story, if you have a "washer rattle" sound from your car and can't "finger" it out. You can check your End Link Bushings on the Front Sway Bar, your Front Brake Caliper bushing, and also your "Anti-Rattle" Clips on your Rear Brake Calipers. If you still can't find it, you can check your Shock mounts for loose bolts and washers also.

·
Registered
258 Posts
What's Up!
Well I finally got the time and initiative to raise my car and look for the "washer jingle" noise. I had a feeling it wasn't my End Links seeing as they aren't that old, and I changed my Front Brake Caliper bushings around the same time. So after a little grabbing and shaking of various things under the car, I decided to check the Rear Brake Calipers!
Low & Behold! My noise was the Anti-Rattle clips on the Rear Brake Pads! Both were sideways and hanging out of the Caliper, actually a quick fix, very cool!

Moral of my story, if you have a "washer rattle" sound from your car and can't "finger" it out. You can check your End Link Bushings on the Front Sway Bar, your Front Brake Caliper bushing, and also your "Anti-Rattle" Clips on your Rear Brake Calipers. If you still can't find it, you can check your Shock mounts for loose bolts and washers also.

a man great news. I had that exact same noise problem and come to find out i was missing the same thing. i found out beceause it didnt make the rattle noise when i braked.

·
Premium Member
1,889 Posts
The anti-rattle clips look like the Honda "H" logo basically. They go between the caliper and the pads. You know the opening in the caliper where you check pad thickness and can see the rotor, they go there.

Sean

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
The anti-rattle clips look like the Honda "H" logo basically. They go between the caliper and the pads. You know the opening in the caliper where you check pad thickness and can see the rotor, they go there.

Sean
Hmmn. Thinking the H clips and anti-rattle springs are 2 different aminals. Quoted from another brake overhaul thread in the brakes secton:

"Assembled pads on the Ceramlub pre-lubricated bracket guide channels and then installed the calipers over the pads. Be certain the anti-rattle springs on the pads are seated correctly on the caliper H clips. The springs have 2 ends. Each end should ride on one of the two corresponding sleeves of the H clip."

Ah well. Glad you found the prob. Double check the H clips to insure they aren't on backwards. Might be how the a/r spring came loose.

·
Premium Member
1,889 Posts
Hmmn. Thinking the H clips and anti-rattle springs are 2 different aminals. Quoted from another brake overhaul thread in the brakes secton:

"Assembled pads on the Ceramlub pre-lubricated bracket guide channels and then installed the calipers over the pads. Be certain the anti-rattle springs on the pads are seated correctly on the caliper H clips. The springs have 2 ends. Each end should ride on one of the two corresponding sleeves of the H clip."

Ah well. Glad you found the prob. Double check the H clips to insure they aren't on backwards. Might be how the a/r spring came loose.
I don't believe the springs on the pad are removable. I did brakes not to long ago and they were just riveted on the top of the pad, no way to install them improperly unless they spun around, but i'm pretty sure they couldn't. I didn't replace the H thing on the other hand and it caused all kinds of issues...they promptly went back in.

Sean

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, whatever they are! The H things are what I was talking about. So, they were hanging out of the back of the caliper and once I put them back in place and carefully replaced the caliper in the hanger (?) the noise was gone during the test drive.

The rattling noise sounded identical to the End Link washers rattling, but after a while I figured out it was coming from the rear of the car.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Well, whatever they are! The H things are what I was talking about. So, they were hanging out of the back of the caliper and once I put them back in place and carefully replaced the caliper in the hanger (?) the noise was gone during the test drive.

The rattling noise sounded identical to the End Link washers rattling, but after a while I figured out it was coming from the rear of the car.
kewl. again though, be sure the h clips are installed correctly. long side towards piston. If not, the piston will bind on them and might be how the anti-rattle springs became dislodged.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Crap!
Now you tell me! J.K. I made sure of that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.