Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ahh yes... driving home last night around 3:15am nice night no cars on the road so i decide to go for a backroads cruise. Before i could even hammer down bam!!! big old shutter from the tranny so im thinking great im gunna be stuck out here in the morning im screwed.. but all was good it drove fine after that.. get to a stop sign and the damn thing wouldn't shift into 2nd gear, unless i manually downshift then upshift.. I hate these trannys so much this is my 3rd tranny first was a stock with transgo, 2nd was a probuilt=bs, this one stock 100% and i babied it, kinda. I'm considering selling this friggen car i love it but i just don't want the problems anymore haha.. i just got this thing running again 2 days ago cause the rear end blew in it jees. Well sorry for the rant... but if anyone has a better suggestion on which route to go i'd appreciate it..

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
no i burned the clutches.. only has first and second and not in limp mode... these tranny shops charge waaayy too much for a rebuild.. If i pull it out and have either of the two places i just went to rebuild it, they both tell me it'll be around 1500 bucks!! WTF I even told the one guy that last time he did it he charged my 600 bucks.. wtf are they thinking? or is 1500 bucks a standard cause id think not.. i might just have to rebuild it myself i geuss...

·
Super Moderator
7,841 Posts
no i burned the clutches.. only has first and second and not in limp mode... these tranny shops charge waaayy too much for a rebuild.. If i pull it out and have either of the two places i just went to rebuild it, they both tell me it'll be around 1500 bucks!! WTF I even told the one guy that last time he did it he charged my 600 bucks.. wtf are they thinking? or is 1500 bucks a standard cause id think not.. i might just have to rebuild it myself i geuss...

1500 is standard for a stock overhaul at most shops.

·
Premium Member
734 Posts
I paid about 450 in parts for my impala trans and 550 for my ls1 pickup tranny. It was basically a performance overhaul kit, blue clutches, Beast sunshell and Transgo shift kit. My truck put dwn 415rwhp and is 4300lbs, I drive it like I stole it, and theres no issues, its bulletproof. If you can find a descent place buy the parts I wouldnt pay more than 300 to 500 in labor or buy a book and just do it yourself.

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's all good everyone i'm gunna pull the tranny outa the race cappy since we got a th350 for it... So it'll cost me zero bones.. unless i'll have a problem putting a 96 trans in a 95...

·
Super Moderator
9,453 Posts
Sounds like the sunshell broke if you lost second and it made a bang noise. You're laid off - drop the trans and replace the sunshell yourself! 4L60Es don't require any special tools except for input shaft seals and the apply pistons (spring compressor is needed). You can ******* those too. Now get going and drop it out and fix it. New taiwan reinforced sunshells are like $25.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i still have second gear.. i can actually go all the way to fourth.. the clutches it seems like are just bad. if that makes any sence at all.. i just cant start from a dead stop in od but can run through first and second.. I have a "beast" sunshell i pulled outa my other trans last summer.. i just dont trust myself on rebuilding the whole thing.. I've done TH350s and some transaxles but still not really wanting to risk it if i want to put a cam and other things in soon, dont want that little more power blow a trans i built..

·
Premium Member
734 Posts
If you can manually go through your gears it really sounds like just a solenoid problem. I didnt read you saying anything was actually slipping. May not be as bad as you think

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
(Potential Thread-jack)

I've heard that the T56 will only take about 350 RWHP... did I hear wrong?

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
It seems pretty obvious that there's something else going on here. Unless you're running 500+ horsepower on a mostly stock tranny, you shouldn't be breaking so many. It doesn't make sense.

·
Registered
376 Posts
go with a level 3 cpt and you will not blow it up, i have one for about 3 yrs now almost everyday i hammer it with a 383 stroker and tranny is beautiful.. call him up hes a good guy to deal with. times r hard everywhere he'll give ya a break

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ya i thought it coulda been a solenoid issue as well but according to the trans shop it isn't.. plus if it was just a shift solenoid it wouldn't have done what it did when i was driving, so i got away from that idea fast, i could just hook my scanner up to it i spose and check it out.. No i havn't ever had a rebuild done by master builder in st. paul, i've never even heard of them.. those cpt trans are spendy as hell are they not? then i gotta pay the shipping, i think for now just pulling the 96 trans outa the race car and putting it into my 95 driver is the best idea. The main reason i go through trannys is because of what i do with them.. i drive around in 2 all over town, i downshift them all the time to slow down, i do so many burnouts and brake stands, and of course i do alot of donuts, like alot of them... haha In general im kinda hard on em.. but i babied this last trans i only did prolly a handfull of stupids with it lol.. it was also a used trans..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.