Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought it would be easy to replace the flange that connects the X-pipe to the CAT's but Nooooooooo....

My system is partly welded so i would have to take it down, and possibly apart to get the flange on i think.

So frustrating i am having mech do it on a lift, not too mention i noticed DR side is toast as well.
So much for savin' a couple bucks...:|

-ALF out..

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipPcFB8p5CSQt0NU1kZMUBitmGv077vKHLtTJDt5RmiDVMXPb5SsP_Uv4dlFa_zT_A?key=SURqcVNDOEtKZU5tNFUwbjZhUklzckxmRF9WREJ3

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipO1WouFjFXiNns5AOTODsq_63q0NM4tvNgehk_l2FAPZ3IBglf-kz1xoZwuC046yw?key=aVlnRTRHcHk2TjJWTjBBMFFXUTNsa09hUWNrOHN3

·
Registered
8,056 Posts

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Those flanges are slid over the exhaust pipe before the bubble flare is made so you will have to cut the pipe in half somewhere and then slide the new flange on and reweld the pipe back together.

·
Registered
8,056 Posts
First: Ken, clicking does not bring up the pic, only copy/paste address to a new tab.

Next: Someone let me know if my link isn't working showing many 'repair flange' options. The purpose of any repair type flange is that it's split and not requiring the pipe be removed.

·
Registered
8,056 Posts
Thanks. 6 2 and even, over and out.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Hi, thanks for the tips guys, at least this will help someone else down the road.

After staring at the bubble flare and the flange, i got depressed at the work to fix this on my back. Luckily i have band clamp holding the pieces of the Pypes-X together for those sections, and it's not welded like the Muffler end of the X-pipe. Yay... i guess.

Next project is to look if the FSM has the correct bolt size listed that connects my flange with the threaded holes in the flange welded to the CAT itself. tried a Standard 7/16 - 14 2 inch bolt but slightly too big. Old ones are rusted and making it tough to size it.

-ALF out...

EDIT : looks like the size listed in this old 3000 page PDF i have of B-body manual seems to list "m10-1.5x50 hex bolt" for what i need. Page 3-F23 in the manual.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Heh. I just ran a 3/8-16 bolt through the flange and then backed it with a stainless nut as a sortof jam nut. 😄 It's held fine for 10-ish years, including a disassembly or two.

·
Registered
8,056 Posts
Next project is to look if the FSM has the correct bolt size listed that connects my flange with the threaded holes in the flange welded to the CAT itself. tried a Standard 7/16 - 14 2 inch bolt but slightly too big. Old ones are rusted and making it tough to size it.

-ALF out...

EDIT : looks like the size listed in this old 3000 page PDF i have of B-body manual seems to list "m10-1.5x50 hex bolt" for what i need. Page 3-F23 in the manual.

When I first caught this post I had to think to myself when the last time was I noticed an American size. I recall the collection of metric sockets and box/ends I kept losing track of when rolling around underneath doing the new cat-back ::grrrr:: and then of course also the English for all the clamps.... But it seems most all the cars now are metric - engine, body and chassis?

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi, just to wrap up, not sure if my mech is lazier than me or smarter.... he cut the flange in half and welded it back together around the pipe. Couple hundred miles and so far so good.
I'll take some pics if anyone asks....
Later,
-ALF out...

·
Registered
8,056 Posts
haha Thanks ALF. No pics needed. Just proof that folks with a welder can exercise different parts of their brain than the rest of us what don't got one. Did the thread turn out US, or metric?

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I used this, m10-1.5x50 hex bolt Doorman makes them, grabbed 2 3-packs at Advance Auto parts. They fit just like the manual said.

-ALF out..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts