Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Based on my budget, or lack thereof, it looks as though I'm going to have to settle for a 91-93 wagon.
I know that I DO NOT want one with a 305, but I was just wondering if there were any powertrain differences / advantages between the Chev, Buick, and Olds 350's for that year range? It should work out for me since I'm more familiar with and have more spare parts for the old school 350's anyways.

What gear ratios were available for these cars? How do I tell which one is in the car?Where's the SPID sheet? and does G80 mean posi on these wagons too?

If I find one that is locked, is there a VIN digit on the pre-94's that means 350 instead of 305?

I know that the 9C1 sedan suspensions are beefier than the civie sedans. What all mechanical differences are on the 1A2 wagons over the civie wagons? And do the 1A2 wagons come with the 3rd seat? Pros/cons of the 1A2, please.

Also, should I get lucky enough to steal one with an LT1, I'd like to know if the wagon dash is the same as the sedan and will accept the Z28 cluster.

Anything I should look out for on these wagons other than the wheel wells going bad?

Thanks,
John

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The Chevy, Olds, and Buicks are IDENTICAL in dirvetrain.

Your option code label is inside the tailgate jam on the passenger side. Yup, G80 is G80 across the board.

The 94-96 cars have the exact same dash as the sedans.

I know I didn't answer all the questions, but those are the only ones I know for fact. If I don't know the answer, I'm not going to speculate on it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The 1A2 basically gets you the silicon hoses, larger ball joints, extra wiring, non-power windows, and non-power seats. A civilian wagon is a better deal IMO.

If the car has a P as the 7th digit (I think that's the digit), then it has a 350. If it's a W, then it's the smaller motor.

Most wagons seem to have the granny gears, although some have 3.08's and 3.23's. Most also seem to be peg legged, non G80 cars.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The VIN will indicate engine in the 8th digit. Like Mike says, p=lt1 w=l99
For the 91-93 cars, 8th digit E is the LO3 305, and the 8th digit 7 - the LO5 350.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've seen quite a few 94-94 wagons with G80. Maybe the LT1's got more posi's. Spend a little more and get the LT1, it's worth it. Not to knock the TBI motors, look at my sig.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the help guys.
I know it's worth more money to get the LT1 - the problem is that I don't really NEED the thing in the first place. It'd be used as a 3rd or 4th car in the nice months and as a winter "beater", if you will, for the winter months. I would LOVE to get an LT1 wagon - but that would pretty much wipe out any mod money I would have for the Impala for this summer. Unless I could steal one like SSinisterSS did.
I more or less figured I could swing a decent running 350 car with a body and paint that was mediocre enough that it wouldn't kill me to shoot it flat black with old school flames and red wheels. Bootleg style. Maybe even some sidepipes and blue pinstriping on the things that don't have flames. A budget beater wagon that wasn't too nice to begin with. I already posted what my ultimate wagon would be - but the one I just described reflects alot closer to reality and would let me cheaply vent out the street rodder in me through the winter months.
The problem is that I can't even find a half beat up non-LT1 car around here. I'll find one though. Just have to keep looking.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The 1A2 basically gets you the silicon hoses, larger ball joints, extra wiring, non-power windows, and non-power seats. A civilian wagon is a better deal IMO.
The 1A2 I'm looking at here in town has NO silicon hoses and DOES have power windows and seats. Only the recline lever is manual. This 1A2 is indistinguishable from a civilian Caprice Wagon, I believe. It has the 2.56 gears that really suck off the line. Sort of like starting out in 2nd gear.

RS

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bring a meter with you and make sure there is power to the rear glass defogger. Seems to be a weak point in the MN wagons I've run across.

The RM wagons seem to be more consistent with the way they were optioned out. The Caprice buyers were a little more thrifty with their money I'm guessing.

MY '92 Caprice: G80, GU5, LO5, no V92.
MY '94 Caprice: V92 and GW9, no G80.
MY '94 RM: Everything but power recliner and CD.

Definetely not all encompassing, just what I've run across.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Without doing the proper research FWIW I thought that the larger ball joints (7B3 spid code) were only offered in mid 95 and all 96 9C1 and 9C6's to include 1A2 wagons. I maybe wrong on this.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
my 94 1a2 has power windows,.power dr side seat,.rubber mat, twin elec fans,. oil cooler, ps cooler,trans cooler, green hoses and 2.56 gears,. it has enough balls to light up a set of 275-45-17 ecsta 712's, and the burn out will just go on for ever!! :D
even with the 2.56 's i don't find this car "sluggish" my 95 9c1 has 373's so i do have something for reference,. and my 96 9c1 has 323's,
but its just a wee L99

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.