Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I have successfully mounted the sedan swaybar on my wagon using stock lower control arms. Of course we all know the stock lca's are terribly weak, so by boxing them and adding a slightly new design idea, they are much stronger and I was able to use the factory swaybar. Total cost was minimal. I used 6 pieces of 1/2" black iron tubing cut into @1.25" lengths to fit inside the control arm channel with nuts/bolts/washers to secure the tubing, in order to create strength in the arms. I also spot welded the tubing pieces inside. Then I used some 3/16" flat plate to weld on the underside of the arms the length of the control arm. I double plated the area at the swaybar mount area. Plates are extended inward in width an extra inch or so. Since the width of the control arm locations are 2" different between the wagon and sedan, the swaybar bolt holes are located inward 1" on each side. By drilling holes 1" inward and welding on nuts on the topside of the boxed lca plates, everything works out perfectly. The swaybar barely rubs against the rearend shock mount brackets which is taken care of with a big hammer. I probably have less than a total of 10 hours in fabrication, gathering up parts and installation. Since the swaybar and control arms came from a u-pull, they cost little, (actually I got them with a sedan rearend which is going in next, with disc brakes). In case anyone wonders, the sedan control arms are the same dimensions as the wagon's and are what I actually used.
I was once told that when you have a wire feed welder you see projects differently and that is true. That, and a compressor really change things. The job was really fairly easy; it required a little thought, hardly any money, and some time. The results are very satisfactory. dan...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Thanks for the post. I had the same idea but haven't acted on it. I wanted a low buck sway bar for the wagon. I bought a 9C1 bar for $15 and found that it didn't fit.

I did put the upgraded lower arms on the wagon though. I don't know if those would work without boxing. I was just gonna get some 1/2" steel plate and make some offset brackets.

Scott

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have them but how do you put them into the forum without a personal webpage?? I also have sent them to the tech portion of impalassforum but have had no response. dan...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
GSwagon, I have not received the images yet, what address and when did you send them?? here is a direct link [email protected]

send again asap! I can post as soon as I get them...I have a high speed connection so you can send as many as you have...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's odd, that is the address I thought I sent them to. I'll resend them but I'm on the way to Bonneville at the moment and the pics are on my home machine. You'd think that after all these years of messing with computers, I could access my home machine from a distance. BTW, I have sent the pics to the tech moderator on the www.impalassforums.com homepage if any of you know who that is. dan...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What's this about weak rear arms? I went to the junk yard the other day and they had a pile of police cars with high miles and all with rear sway bars and none looked cracked to me at all. I bought a bar and put it on my wagon. I cut the lower arms with a sawsall and inspected them for cracks when I got home and saw none!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Speedway has 3 or 4, taylors has 2 taxi's and Riverside has 3 or 4 caprice 4 doors. Sorry I am not a grail member, just a guy that couldn't stomach the thought of owning a minivan so I bought a wagon.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
have to modify the page...wasn't loading proberly...it takes a little bit to load if you are going over a standard phone line...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sean, nice job on the posted pics, thank you. I can tell you that everything is still fine. Corners flat, no problems so far, inexpensive. dan...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.