Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the midst of replacing my WP and Opti, I didn’t reinstall the AIR pump but left the plumbing in place. I stuffed a wadded up paper towel in the stainless pipe that connects to the outlet of the pump. Well my idiot self didn’t realize there is SUCTION when the engine is running. I took the car for a short drive. My guess is the the paper towel got sucked into one of the manifolds. Is it possible for debris to get past the check valves? Should I try to fish the paper out or will it get burned up in the exhaust? I don’t really care about the AIR system working. I just need it to be installed for the emissions test, the visual inspection aspect anyway.

·
Registered
8,049 Posts
.... Is it possible for debris to get past the check valves? From what I recall looking at those valves I don't think so.

Should I try to fish the paper out Sure, why not?

or will it get burned up in the exhaust? I wouldn't count on that if they get into the manifold. Then there's the issue with paper in the cats and possibly messing with the O2 signals.

I don’t really care about the AIR system working. I just need it to be installed for the emissions test, the visual inspection aspect anyway. Is your state that touchy on it? Several different stations in mine have never cared on the cars I've torn the AIRs out of.

You really ought to try to find and remove the paper if possible.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It’s been 11 years since I’ve had a non-OBD II car inspected. Most stations wouldn’t touch my L99 car if the pump wasn’t installed. They probably thought I was a narc with a white Caprice. Next year, this wagon will exempt.

I shall dig the paper out. Thanks for the reply.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts