Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For you front end guys, I'm putting back on the stock centerlink and get the nuts part way on and the ball joint starts turning so I cann't get the nut all the way down. Would just putting the tie rod puller back on keep it from spinning?

TIA

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Since when does the center link connect to a ball joint? I'm not sure what part of the car you are working on. - JM.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Since when does the center link connect to a ball joint? I'm not sure what part of the car you are working on. - JM.
The centerlink has 2 ball joints in it... just like each tie rod has one at its end. They're just not refered to as "ball joints" very often.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There are certain techniques that you could use to tighten the nut on that "ball joint", however, like others have said, if it's turning, it needs to be replaced. They will not turn on a new center link.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not so fast on calling it a bad center link. Many times on new ones you need some tension to stop the ball from turning. You can run it down quickly with an impac gun or use a LARGE set of channel locks to hold the two pieces together.
I'm not saying yours isn't worn, but spinning during assembly is a common problem.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by RJI:
Not so fast on calling it a bad center link. Many times on new ones you need some tension to stop the ball from turning. You can run it down quickly with an impac gun or use a LARGE set of channel locks to hold the two pieces together.
I'm not saying yours isn't worn, but spinning during assembly is a common problem.
I did purchase a new one and the ball joints are a lot tighter, I haven't install it yet but it seems if I add pressure on the bar it will keep the ball joint from spinning in the sleeves.

Clay

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.