Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to clean the carpet in the back of my Wagon. It has grease and a little oil...What best to use?Whats best way of doing it Oldhead PS: Love my wagon. It has grease and a little oil...What best to use?Whats best way of doing it Oldhead PS: Love my wagon

·
Banned
3,437 Posts
I want to clean the carpet in the back of my Wagon. It has grease and a little oil...What best to use?Whats best way of doing it Oldhead PS: Love my wagon. It has grease and a little oil...What best to use?Whats best way of doing it Oldhead PS: Love my wagon
you cannot use brake cleaner because it has acetone . this chemical will damage the fabric/plastic/rubber etc...

what can be used is electronic contact cleaner on grease /oil spots. this is safe on plastic and rubber etc ... MAF cleaner is also safe...

TB cleaner has in some made acetone so I always read the contents when using these products ..

on a rug with a lot of dirt I have used the citrus cleaner. some use this to clean the engine before breaking it down. I use it to remove any oils I spill on driveway works good.

after you use the solvent cleaner get some rug shampoo and a wet vac. spray on the shampoo and using the rug suck attachment suck out the dirt. using a SOFT BRUSH when you spray on the shampoo to rug does help clean it faster.

many years ago when I had the velour seats I used this shampoo method . I just did my 84 camaro a few weeks ago rugs and seats...

·
Registered
276 Posts
You can try GOOF OFF or GOO GONE AUTOMOTIVE, spray it on, let it soak a few minutes, then spray some SIMPLE GREEN or WINDEX over it and rub it in then try to get it all out.

I use an old BISSEL green machine, and after rubbing in the GOO GONE and SIMPLE GREEN into the stain, I dump some hot water, very hot, and then use the GREEN MACHINE to suck it out of the carpet.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Instead of petroleum based solvents try a cleaner with citrus oil. I used one to wash the big trucks in the 1980s. In concentrated form it would melt road tar off the paint without damage. I can still get small bottles at some industrial supply stores. I add it to regular carpet cleaner to get grease and oil out. I also use dish washing soap as a spot cleaner. Any cleaner can change carpet color so check what you use on a small area that can not be seen.

My friend with a dog tipped me off that some of the big pet stores sell carpet cleaning supplies cheap.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts