Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 96 SS and it seems like my rear end is sagging. I have a 17' boat and when it's on the car the tail pipes are almost on the ground. I don't want the air bags and I heard that the Caprice rear springs are a good idea but what is the year and model I should mention to the supplier? I don't want to have my front end looking like it's diving foreward, something that is not exagerated but stiff enough to hold my boat and rear passengers without having the tailpipes on the ground. Any suggestions? Specific brands and part #'s would be appreciated.(or type of car and year) Thanx...

------------------
1996 Impala SS. First base, home plate and elbow removed. K&N cone filter on MAF then on TB. Flowmaster exhaust with straight polished stainless tips. Splitfire plugs.TB Bypass. 160* T-stat. Red bowtie on grill and side fenders. "SS" on grill.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
94-96 caprice 9C1 springs will be the same firmness as your current setup, but they will ride higher. I still have my car on its stock 9C1 springs, and they a lot of mileage on them, and they aren't sagging yet.

I don't know about other model year 9C1 springs, but I know stock replacement springs for a 94 to 96 9C1 will be the exact same feel as your stock SS springs.

------------------

95 9C1 LT1

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree with Mike on his suggestion of 9C1 rear springs. They will raise the back at least an inch, probably more if they new.
You can locate used 9C1 springs pretty easily and cheap, est. $50. They are pretty easy to put in (and take out, if you don't like them). They will change the handling some, but not anything you can't get use to.

There are at least a couple of SSs running around Texas with horse trailers on the back and LeVeL. I know one that put the 9C1 springs on front and back to drag a trailer and not drag on country dirt roads.

[This message has been edited by bgraham (edited March 08, 2001).]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had the air-ride air bags for the Impala in my car for 6 months while I towed my boat. They can be deflated when not in use. I now tow with a B-body wagon, and have removed the bags. If you want them cheap, e-mail or call me. 330-336-4357.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanx for the offer Charlie, like I originally mentioned I am not looking for air bags. I wanted to have a permanent installation which is new springs. The problem is that the suppliers only have different types of Caprice in their coil catalogs and does not mention anything about 9C1. Is that a regular Caprice or a Caprice Classic or what?

------------------
1996 Impala SS. First base, home plate and elbow removed. K&N cone filter on MAF then on TB. Flowmaster exhaust with straight polished stainless tips. Splitfire plugs.TB Bypass. 160* T-stat. Red bowtie on grill and side fenders. "SS" on grill.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
9C1 refers to the "police package" and they have stiffer springs than the standard Caprice. There are usually plenty of retired or wrecked police cars in the salvage yards and the springs are HD and don't tend to sag over time, like the normal sedan version. You may still be able to get them from a GM dealer, if you want new ones.
Also Moog offers "cargo coils" HD rear springs for the Caprice, but I can't vouch for the height.

------------------
Rich A 95 1A2 SEO Wagon
Austin, TX

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
you can install a set of air shocks on the back just like I did they hold up very good and are very cheap,they lift my car about 2 to 3 inches and I still have a nice and smoth ride, you can get this shock from pep boys because the rest of the auto parts will tell you that there is no such thing as air shocks for the impala ss

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.