Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was testing IAC while off throttle body to see if it was working. The pintle came all the way out of the IAC stepper motor. Is there a way to get it back in where it needs to go? I gently threaded it back in,but it's still way too far extended. Any ideas?

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
Purely from your description sounds like running out of threads (or stepper) before otherwise bottoming out. Any way to 'pre-thread' deeper first before running it home? I had to do a similar thing to re-assemble a rotating e-brake assy back together on an old Riviera.

Those things USED to be a maint. item when they were $30. Geez $80 now?

·
Registered
925 Posts
I can not find it in the manual right now, but if you search IAC cleaning you will find many references to not touching a used IAC pintle's position. I have a bad feeling that if manually moving the pintle causes damage you have damaged it.

It is not a DC motor it is a stepper motor like in a hard drive. It has two coils that are pulsed in sequence to move it back and forth. The dealer was forced to buy a special tool to check the IAC.

Bottom line the IAC parts are supposed to be too weak to survive manual pintle movement.

·
Registered
6,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bummed out because IAC turned out to be good (before pintle shot across driveway) ,and seems like pintle could be retracted if I could think of,or discover a way...

·
Registered
6,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmm... Beats all the ideas I've had so far... Thanks...

·
Registered
6,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update: Only way to retreat pintle is with the Kent-Moore tool. Saw a couple on ebay for around $100,but decided to take a chance at my local Chevy dealer. After some rummaging around,they found theirs. They let me use it,and tool worked like a charm. Happy,happy,happy... Thank you, Chevrolet....

·
Registered
925 Posts
Congratulations on your lucky breaks!

I have a suggestion for all. Get a spare china IAC from fleebay. I searched the OEM part# and paid $10.00.(90 day delivery)

I would not run it as a replacement part but it is a good way to diagnose a IAC problem.

·
Banned
3,437 Posts
Was testing IAC while off throttle body to see if it was working. The pintle came all the way out of the IAC stepper motor. Is there a way to get it back in where it needs to go? I gently threaded it back in,but it's still way too far extended. Any ideas?
I just learned about this issue .. IAC out ,,, turn key on ,,, PCM turns on the IAC till it bottoms out .. do not remove IAC and turn key on ...

part of the PCM calibration of the IAC position

·
Registered
7,982 Posts
Update: Only way to retreat pintle is with the Kent-Moore tool. Saw a couple on ebay for around $100,but decided to take a chance at my local Chevy dealer. After some rummaging around,they found theirs. They let me use it,and tool worked like a charm. Happy,happy,happy... Thank you, Chevrolet....
Just curious but what is the Kent Moore part # for this tool. That was nice of the dealer/Service dept to let you use that specialized tool. I had similar situation with an old Buick Regal which had a Transverse Leaf Spring on the rear and required a special tool to replace the Struts. Of course none of the Loan-a-tool places would have a tool like this. Contacted a local Dealer Service dept and told the shop guy what I was doing and was "curious" if they had this tool and would rent it to me. I could not do this job at their shop and needed to take the tool with me.

After he jokingly said, "I found it and brushed the Dust off for you", they were extremely nice and let me borrow the tool. I offered to leave a copy of my license or even a credit Card for a deposit but guess I have a trusting face and they told me to just bring it back when done. Of course I did (good Karma) return the tool and took them a box of Donuts as a TY. Most may never think to check with the dealer for special tool like this but a lot of these tools aren't used by them anymore and they may not mind. What's the worst they can say? ...."No"

On your IAC repair - I suspect I have a IAC valve that is also having issues. Has to have at least 150K on it now and I've noticed some random Idle issues and even a hesitation once in a while after the car is warmed up. A lot of the symptoms Ive read about seem to indicate a bad IAC. But dang this thing is a pricey little part but if I'm going to swap it out, it will either be a Delphi or AC part.

·
Registered
7,866 Posts

·
Registered
6,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The IAC passages in the throttle body can,and do accumulate a lot of oil,carbon,gunk that is easier to remove by separating the castings with throttle body off the car...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts