Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many of our cars had oil pressure gauges that don't really read oil pressure, they either read no pressure or good pressure because the gauge is hooked up to a pressure switch that's on when you have only about 5 pounds of pressure. 5 pounds isn't good oil pressure. The switch was meant for an oil pressure idiot light. I was cleaning out my photobucket account and found this, I posted it a while back-

I figured I should post it again since the great crash wiped it out. This is the resistor that must be removed if you want your oil pressure gauge to work with a pressure sender instead of a pressure switch. It took me a while to find this little sucker, it's in the harness that runs right along the inside of the top of the glove box opening. Just snip out the resistor and tape off the wires, don't connect them together! Just snip out the resistor and insulate the bare ends that are left over. Someone had a good writeup about it that had all the part numbers. After removing this resistor, swap out the pressure switch for a sender. From what I remember there's a direct replacement sender that works OK, I think it was used on the 9C1. The hot setup is to use a sender from an S10, the threads are different so you need to use some adapters but it uses more of the gauge scale, this is what I did and it works great.

Maybe the OP will chime in and post the rest of the details.

· Registered
2,116 Posts

· Registered
2,116 Posts
thanks!, The circle is complete. I posted a link on your writeup

Chris
You might be the ONLY person on ISSF to actually remember to take a picture of that resistor!:D

· Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You don't want to know how much of my dash got ripped up looking for this thing. It's nice to have a working gauge. I went from the in radiator oil cooler to a 9C1 type separate oil cooler and I got a little more oil pressure out of the deal. When the engine and weather are cold the gauge now reads almost full scale. When it's really hot it reads a litle more than half idling.

Chris

· Premium Member
1996 Caprice 9c1, 2018 Ram Laramie CC 4x4 EcoDiesel , '03 Ram 3500 Laramie Sport QC 4x4 Cummins
631 Posts
Why in the heck would the general install such a piece of caca of a gauge? Perhaps too much warranty work with a gauge that moves like it should,instead of the "I'm on" "I'm off" gauge

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.