Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just tried to put the 15" summer rims with 235/60's on the wagon and it rubs almost all the time on the driver side. About 1.5" clearance on the passenger side. I'd only need to move it about a quarter-inch. Anybody ever have success doing this? Thanks.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
If you just need a ¼" cant you trim the fenderwell lip? I would put in a adjustable panhard bar before i tried to move the whole body on the frame but thats just my idea on that lol. I know these cars are notorious for not having the rearend centered.... a friend of mine grinded that wheelwell lip to make his tires fit.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you just need a ¼" cant you trim the fenderwell lip? I would put in a adjustable panhard bar before i tried to move the whole body on the frame but thats just my idea on that lol. I know these cars are notorious for not having the rearend centered.... a friend of mine grinded that wheelwell lip to make his tires fit.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If the axle is only off about 1/4", then that is normal.

If it is off ONE POINT FIVE freaking inches....well, Houston, we have a Problem! :D

Yes, loosen ALL of the body bushings and try centering the body better on the frame. You may need the services/tools of a body shop to do this right. If it is off THAT far, I'd guess the car has been "tweaked" (i.e. wrecked) at some point and was not repaired properly.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have you tried taking measurements as far as like from the outside of the hub to the outside of the frame on both sides? I would do some measuring but i would not get ready to loosen and move the whole body of the car...even if it was wrecked i cant imagine there is that much adjustability in the mounts
you and your tape measure can determine alot more than any of us can.
then from that it will be really easy to see what is "square" or in line on the car..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.