Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me how the IGBA specs differ from factory and what the changes accomplish?

I am getting an alignment on 4/4 and have the specs in hand but if they ask questions I want to be able to answer.

TIA

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
If I remember correctly, they don't differ from stock (or atleast not much anyway), but the main difference is the tolerance that is applied to the individual settings (toe, camber ect). With a tighter tolerance, the setting(s) are more consistant, and closer to what they are supposed to be and not what chevy calls close enough.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Rich,

While I can't tell you the technical reason the IGBA spec's are better, I can tell you that it is a commonly used.

Also, the IGBA specs are within the factory specifications (but the stated tolerance is tighter). The alignment shop shouldn't have any reason not to perform this alignment.

At the shop I go to, if you use your own specifications, they charge you by the hour to do the alignment and not the flat rate that you would otherwise get because meeting the tighter specs could take longer.

Mike

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your responses. I was concerned that there was something "different" and I don't consider tightening the tolerances different.

I want to make sure my alignment is set up for how I drive. I don't autocross and I think most of use would agree that our cars spend most of the time pointed straight ahead. I want the alignment to provide straight ahead stability with MINIMAL wandering and steering corrections.

Thanks again.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rich, I think you want to add some toe, over the zero degrees specified by the specs. My recommendation is 0.20 degrees (not much) but talk to the alignment guy and ask what he thinks. He will probably want to do some toe-in.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree on the toe in. If you do a lot of hiway driving, toeing the wheels will make them track better. Zero toe might sound great, but it is measured on a rack with the car not moving. The wheels move out as you drive. Toe in compensates for this. Also, if you do lots of driving, you might want a bit more caster. Keep in mind that this is more difficult to adjust as you have to fuss with shims that want to fall out before you tighten them!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts