Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a MSD streetfire coil from the local auto parts store and the installation instructions says to drill out the rivets in the mounting bracket is required in order and to re use my own mounting brackets. Are all coils like this?????

the coil came with the necessary hardware but I thought I just take off the two bolts and the new coil would be a direct fit with no drilling?

·
Super Moderator
9,104 Posts
The original coil was rivet-mounted to the mounting bracket. If your coil has already been replaced, then you probably have bolts holding your coil onto the bracket. If not, then yes, drill out the rivets and install the bolts. It's the same deal with the upper balljoints - they were riveted from the factory, but replacements have bolts.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The original coil was rivet-mounted to the mounting bracket. If your coil has already been replaced, then you probably have bolts holding your coil onto the bracket. If not, then yes, drill out the rivets and install the bolts. It's the same deal with the upper balljoints - they were riveted from the factory, but replacements have bolts.
My coil still has the rivets thanks I just needed to know if I would have to drill the rivets out in any case.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.