Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sometimes my 96 Impala will not produce the regular self diagnosing ding ding ding sound when I turn the ignition to the first KO position. It dings when the doors open, or the lights are on, but not when I get in and go to start the car. All I get is
This is a transient problem that comes and goes.
Can anyone tell me if this is a real problem or just my dinger module going bad.
Thank You in advance for all help and suggestions you have to offer.
This is an OBDII car so I was under the impression it didnt use the same self diagnostic cycle an OBDI does.
Do 1996 OBDIIs still also use the onboard self diagnostic test system at startup ?
Thank you for your time and energy in any responses you can provide...

Registered
Sometimes my 96 Impala will not produce the regular self diagnosing ding ding ding sound when I turn the ignition to the first KO position. It dings when the doors open, or the lights are on, but not when I get in and go to start the car. All I get is
This is a transient problem that comes and goes.
Can anyone tell me if this is a real problem or just my dinger module going bad".
Thank You in advance for all help and suggestions you have to offer.
This is an OBDII car so I was under the impression it didnt use the same self diagnostic cycle an OBDI does.
Do 1996 OBDIIs still also use the onboard self diagnostic test system at startup ?
Thank you for your time and energy in any responses you can provide
My kinda educated guess is the problem is somewhere between the dinger module & the key tumbler mechanism. After all, you said it dings when the doors open, or the lights are on, so the connections between the dinger, the doors, & the lights, as well as the dinger, are probably ok.

I'm of half a mind to just remove my dinger altogether.
The dinger just dings, it has nothing to do with the startup self-diagnostic that either an OBD1 or OBD2 pcm does.

Registered
???, when I turn my key "on" there is no ding ding unless the door is open while doing so I think

It dings if the turn signal is left on for a period of time

The dinger is just to let you know the door is open and I believe headlights left on if you remove key with them on (unless you have headlight sentinel)

not anything to do with any PCM pre check

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Sometimes my 96 Impala will not produce the regular self diagnosing ding ding ding sound when I turn the ignition to the first KO position. It dings when the doors open...
Can anyone tell me if this is a real problem or just my dinger going bad.
Thank you for your time and energy in any responses you can provide
My kinda educated guess is the problem is somewhere between the dinger module & the key tumbler mechanism. After all, you said it dings when the doors open, or the lights are on, so the connections between the dinger, the doors, & the lights, as well as the dinger, are probably ok.

I'm of half a mind to just remove my dinger altogether.
The dinger just dings, it has nothing to do with the startup self-diagnostic that either an OBD1 or OBD2 pcm does.
Ahhhh... Thank you Mark for clearing that up for me. Thats exactly what I needed to know, the dinger on OBDII cars does nothing as far as the on board Diagnostic System goes.
I am a little confused in that I thought the OBDI system used the dings to help diagnose pcm and other potential problems, but Ive never owned an OBDI car before that I knew was OBDI, so I know very little about it, except everyone believes its easier to get tuning software that works well, while the first OBDII cars that were produced (1996s) are a pain to find tuning software for, or tuners.
Anyway, I digress...
So I have no need to be concerned, and yes, that damn thing drives me crazy too, I wonder if removing it would cause any issues. If not, then Ill probably be tempted to remove mine also.
Thank you for the response and sharing your helpful knowledge !!!
I appreciate your time and energy...

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
???, when I turn my key "on" there is no ding ding unless the door is open while doing so I think

The dinger is just to let you know the door is open and I believe headlights left on if you remove key with them on (unless you have headlight sentinel)

Mark and you have both given me the same information in that I have nothing to be overly concerned with because it has nothing to do with an OBDII cars onboard diagnostics.
I thank you for your time and effort, as well as the accurate information regarding this Little Ding issue weve all got going on.
It sounds to me like youve got a;
Little Dinger Thing going on also BALLSS...
LOL....
Im sorry, I had to go there...
But seriously folks...
None of us need to worry about our Dingers.... Great news...
Just as an FYI though, when its working properly, my car does the ding ding ding thing in the first KO position with my doors closed, no turn signals active, and the lights off.
I have noticed though that once in a while, if I dont turn my ignition switch to start with a solid and complete full turn to its stop, my starter does a solenoid engagement slip, where it makes a nasty noise and doesnt start the car, then when I turn the ignition on again making sure I turn the key fully and with intent, it starts no problem.
Perhaps my ignition key switch and tumblers needs attention as Mark suggested, or at least a thorough examination of its contacts, connectors, and use of some electrical contact cleaner to make sure theres no electrical current being lost due to corrosion of the contacts.
Once again, thank you all for the help!
I appreciate it greatly!!!
Have a great day...

Registered
By " habit" I always turn the key to run and wait until the FP stop priming then turn to start. It always instantly fires up vs the few cranks it would take with just turning the key to start immediately.

Either way is not a problem but just by habit I let the FP prime first.

The starter thing where the solenoid won't completely engage forward resulting in that "sound" of disengagement (starter gear & FW grind sound) can mean the starter solenoid is wearing and/or the wiring at the starter is fatigued (old battery cables).

IMHO the go to starter if anyone needs one is the Corvette gear reduction starter at Autozone. Cheaper & lighter than OEM replacement and is a true "gear reduction" starter

Registered
In 1994 the chime is also connected to the fasten seat belt circuit.

So if you latch the driver's belt then KO no chime, But if you just KO it chimes and turns on the seat belt light.

Registered

So if you latch the driver's belt then KO no chime, But if you just KO it chimes and turns on the seat belt light.
Well i guess you learn something new everyday !
after work got in car and turn key and whata ya know "Ding" "Ding" !
i turn key off.
i put on seat belt i turn key....no "ding" "ding" :grin2:

1996 wx3 DGGM
-ALF out...

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
By " habit" I always turn the key to run and wait until the FP stop priming then turn to start. It always instantly fires up vs the few cranks it would take with just turning the key to start immediately.

Either way is not a problem but just by habit I let the FP prime first.

The starter thing where the solenoid won't completely engage forward resulting in that "sound" of disengagement (starter gear & FW grind sound) can mean the starter solenoid is wearing and/or the wiring at the starter is fatigued (old battery cables).

IMHO the go to starter if anyone needs one is the Corvette gear reduction starter at Autozone. Cheaper & lighter than OEM replacement and is a true "gear reduction" starter
Yes, thats similar to what I do.
I get in, shut the door, put the key in and turn to the KO position and wait for 3 dings and the doors to lock before I turn it to the Start position, I do this also to allow the fuel pump to prime before engaging the starter.
I replaced the starter about a year ago with a damn Cardone starter. Its a new version not rebuilt but it was the only one I could find in stock in the whole valley.
Been putting off replacing it with the Corvette ACDelco cuz it has a lifetime warranty. But that doesnt give me a huge amount of confidence in the starter
With the dinger going in and out at the key turning process (not door or lights on, they always ding), Im inclined to believe Mark hit it with the key tumbler and internal contact mechanism that may be the culprit.
Im going to spray some electrical contact cleaner in the key hole, turn the switch back and forth a few times, and give it a quick shot of graphite lubricant.
Since I have learned the dinger does nothing but irritate 1996 Impala owners, Im really not that concerned with the ding, but I am concerned that there may be a voltage drop at the key switch that goes to the solenoid, thus causing the solenoid to kick out prematurely once in a while.
I dont want to destroy my flex plate, a $100 part that requires $300 in labor to replace.
I will look into the Autozone starter you mentioned, which brand Corvette GR starter are you referring to ?
I try to use ACDelco OEM class whenever I can get parts of that type.

I do want to thank you for the input and advice, I appreciate your time and effort !!!

Registered
Discussion Starter #10

Im with Angelo here...
Learning something new myself, Not surprisingly, Ive learned so much stuff here from so many ISSF members I cant thank them all...
Except I have a 96 Impala so not sure if it applies, Ill check just for the other 96 owners out there.
If theres a way to turn off that damn dinging with the driver door open, Id love to know that one.
Im working on replacing my drivers door window regulator and I either have to stuff a rag in there to hold the door open switch closed (which tends to fall out every 2 minutes) or disconnect the battery so I dont have that damn dinger going constantly while Im working on it driving me crazy. 云

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
Is it difficult to pull the key switch out so I can get to the internal contacts, clean them and apply some dielectric grease to keep them free from corrosion ?
As always, any and all help is appreciated.
I have a Haynes manual, saving up for my own FSM, but Id rather hear from someone whos done it as to how complex or difficult the procedure is.

Registered
Discussion Starter #12

Just FYI... 1996 Impala...
When its working right, my dinger chimes 5 times during startup, when Im sitting in the car with the lights off and doors closed.
Actually it dings 3 times then my automatic door locks engage, 2 more dings and then it stops.
I wait until my doors lock (3 dings) before I engage the starter.

Registered
.......... Im inclined to believe Mark hit it with the key tumbler and internal contact mechanism that may be the culprit.
Im going to spray some electrical contact cleaner in the key hole, turn the switch back and forth a few times, and give it a quick shot of graphite lubricant.
Is it difficult to pull the key switch out so I can get to the internal contacts, clean them and apply some dielectric grease to keep them free from corrosion ?
As always, any and all help is appreciated.
I have a Haynes manual, saving up for my own FSM, but Id rather hear from someone whos done it as to how complex or difficult the procedure is.
I believe that the actual ignition switch assembly is at the bottom of the steering column, just above your feet/ankles. There's a steel rod that runs from the left of the ignition key switch, down the column and engages a white milky plastic looking switch with some very large brown, orange and pink wires going in/out of it. There's a couple very small wires up at the actual lock cylinder for the pass key functionality, but all the main ignition switching functions are at the base of the column.

Getting the key switch out is a bit of work - you will need a steering wheel lock plate depressor and maybe a tilt pin puller, but I don't think that will be necessary unless the key itself it inserting hard/crunchy.

Registered
I
m with Angelo here...
Learning something new myself, Not surprisingly, Ive learned so much stuff here from so many ISSF members I cant thank them all...
Except I have a 96 Impala so not sure if it applies, Ill check just for the other 96 owners out there.
This confuses me greatly as ALF IS A 96 Impala owner. His signature states it two ways: WX3 and DGGM

1996 wx3 DGGM
-ALF out...

Registered
I will look into the Autozone starter you mentioned, which brand Corvette GR starter are you referring to ?
Not seeing the Vette starter I got several years ago. It is a Denso (new)

Autozone has a reman AC Delco and their own house brand but not seeing a new Denso

https://www.autozone.com/batteries-starting-and-charging/starter/acdelco-remanufactured-starter-336-1148/387558_0

Shop around. You want a "offset gear reduction" starter which is what the 96 Corvette had

Rockauto or any auto part store should have them under various brand names

Given the stock starter does not look like the Vette one and a core is required I just brought my stock starter back to the store a few days later....although some counter guy may not even notice if you exchange at time of purchase

rockauto has a new Remy with no core charge for $103

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=6085875&cc=1041398&jsn=553

Registered
Discussion Starter #16
I
m with Angelo here...
This confuses me greatly as ALF IS A 96 Impala owner. His signature states it two ways: WX3 and DGGM

1996 wx3 DGGM
-ALF out...
I apologize if Im the source of any of the confusion. Because Im the one usually confused...
I dont know what wx3 refers to, or what the acronym DGGM means either...
I suppose I should, but I have a hard enough time keeping up with the stuff that applies to my car ...

The response referred to a 1994 seat belt/door chime system operation, so I was just going to offer whatever information I could include in the thread specific to the 96 Impala...
I hope that clears up my responses...
Cuz I have difficulty sometimes just keeping up with myself
Have a great day !!!

Registered
Discussion Starter #19
This is the AC Delco I used. New gear reduction but not a Denso.
Thank you Z09B4U for all the relevant information and follow up pics.
Your description of the process as well as the advice on how to go about it.
Concise, accurate and well explained.
Great Job again to all the ISSF members who have taken the time out of your days to answer questions, and do the research on parts and their availability.
I want to thank you all...
Your help is very much appreciated !!!

Registered
Discussion Starter #20
Not seeing the Vette starter I got several years ago. It is a Denso (new)

Autozone has a reman AC Delco and their own house brand but not seeing a new Denso

https://www.autozone.com/batteries-starting-and-charging/starter/acdelco-remanufactured-starter-336-1148/387558_0

Shop around. You want a "offset gear reduction" starter which is what the 96 Corvette had

Rockauto or any auto part store should have them under various brand names

Given the stock starter does not look like the Vette one and a core is required I just brought my stock starter back to the store a few days later....although some counter guy may not even notice if you exchange at time of purchase

rockauto has a new Remy with no core charge for $103

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=6085875&cc=1041398&jsn=553
Thanks you BALLSS for the information and links as well.
I appreciate your looking into your past purchases and supplying me with the brand choices available.
The core return at a later date is great advice that I will follow.
Fortunately my starter is working ok right now so Im not having to rush around and settle for whatever I can find in stock.
I can take all the time I need to find an ACDelco GR Vette starter, and if I can locate a Denso manufactured version even better. Either way I intend to purchase one as soon as I find one, at which point Ill install it and keep the Cardone as a backup.
You have been a huge help to me not only in this thread but the many others I have posted.
I have learned probably 80% of what I know about my Impala from the helpful members of this forum. ISSF Rocks, and its all of you who are the ones that make it possible.
Thank you all !!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts