Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright what the hell.... I go fill up the whip with a full tank of gas take her for a spin and do a few burnouts etc. and about 20 minutes later I park my car and I cant turn the car off and I was like wtf? then I took my car out of park and put it back and I still couldnt turn it off so I pull my key out and my car is still running.... me and my friend look at eachother like wtf? so my question is what the hell is broke on my car now? I've done some research on ignition problems and I think my ignition cylinder is ****ed and I have to spend some dough so I have a key that can open my doors and trunk and start my engine also, or the problem could be a plastic small pin in my ignition broke that allows you to turn the car on and off and I need to replace it. what do you guys think? help meh!!!!

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Alright what the hell.... I go fill up the whip with a full tank of gas take her for a spin and do a few burnouts etc. and about 20 minutes later I park my car and I cant turn the car off and I was like wtf? then I took my car out of park and put it back and I still couldnt turn it off so I pull my key out and my car is still running.... me and my friend look at eachother like wtf? so my question is what the hell is broke on my car now? I've done some research on ignition problems and I think my ignition cylinder is ****ed and I have to spend some dough so I have a key that can open my doors and trunk and start my engine also, or the problem could be a plastic small pin in my ignition broke that allows you to turn the car on and off and I need to replace it. what do you guys think? help meh!!!!
Looks like a mechanical problem - a link between ignition cylinder and the ignition switch broke. It is an aluminum part.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks like a mechanical problem - a link between ignition cylinder and the ignition switch broke. It is an aluminum part.
yeah I'm already getting a new Ignition cylinder because mine is trashed, but I don't know the other part I need.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
yeah I'm already getting a new Ignition cylinder because mine is trashed, but I don't know the other part I need.
Here is the part. The ignition cylinder engages it. First one side of the o-shaped part cracks, later, when the opposite side cracks too, you loose control over the ignition switch.

Attachments

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here is the part. The ignition cylinder engages it. First one side of the o-shaped part cracks, later, when the opposite side cracks too, you loose control over the ignition switch.
where would that part be located at? I have my steering column dropped and my steering wheel off so I can see everything.

edit: what exactly is the part called?

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
where would that part be located at? I have my steering column dropped and my steering wheel off so I can see everything.

edit: what exactly is the part called?
When you turn the ignition key, the ignition cylinder engages the rack of that part.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When you turn the ignition key, the ignition cylinder engages the rack of that part.
I'm not really sure how to get to that part that deep into the steering column, I have my turn signal switch harness hanging out and my broke ass Ignition cylinder out, any idea how to get to it?

thanks for helping so much, you've been the most help so far!

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I'm not really sure how to get to that part that deep into the steering column, I have my turn signal switch harness hanging out and my broke ass Ignition cylinder out, any idea how to get to it?

thanks for helping so much, you've been the most help so far!
First, make sure that the part is actually broken. You can probably see it if you can see the ignition cylinder. If it fell apart, a part may even drop out of the bottom of the steering column. When it happened to my 91 Cadillac Seville I have managed to engage the ignition switch directly by a piece of 1/8" diameter rod I bought at SEARS. Drove like that for seven years! lol

To replace that part you have to take apart nearly half of the steering column. NOt a big deal, but will require some special tools, patience and attention.

I can send you some pictures of what I did if you PM me your email address.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I replaced my ignition cylinder and ignition switch and it was fine for a while and now its ****ing doing it again....

can't turn car off with key at off position and I can pull the key out with the car running...

·
Registered
629 Posts
I see that you have a 9C1. On my 9C1 there were a couple of switches on the lower part of the dash that you could flip. When you did this you could turn off the ignition and remove the key and the car would continue to run. Got any switches?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I see that you have a 9C1. On my 9C1 there were a couple of switches on the lower part of the dash that you could flip. When you did this you could turn off the ignition and remove the key and the car would continue to run. Got any switches?
theres a switch on the lower dash on the right side of the steering wheel, but I thought that's for the wig wags.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
DUDE I ****ING LOVE YOU!!!

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
That switch was added to all Illinois State Police cars. My old '91 had one.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts