Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi , so I am gonna eliminate the ignition switch altogether and make up a panel with big ole toggle switch's ....my kids will love it and the car is on its last legs. Wal Mart destroyed the switch and this 9c1 is headed for the junk pile. but before i do it will serve me for one more summer.
I have the column c1 and c2 connectors in hand. looking at the diagram in the factory electrical diagrams page 11-07-94 - section, 8a-10-3 it kind of looks like i could use 3 on/off toggle switches.... one each for the ORANGE , PINK, & BROWN AND Then a Momentary push button for yellow wire--- start circuit.

Just want to make sure that i should supply each one of those with 12 vdc and not ground. (edit: I think each circuit requires 12 v) but the factory manual is vague.

anyone done this?

Thanks

·
Registered
884 Posts
Hate to burst your bubble but what you are suggesting is not simple or cheap.

Rock Auto has new ignition switches starting at $10. I expect a new one would be less than $40 locally.. If your lock cylinder is bad shopping around would get it replaced (with you doing some work) for under a $100.

The ignition switch is made up of 6 separate multi-position switches. Some use ground most use +12V. Some of these circuits require over 30 Amps. Cheap switches will burn out (most are 15Amp or less). So you would also need multiple relays. Simple switches and relays may not do the self tests that are normally preformed by the ignition switch.

To safely replace the ignition switch will cost you way more than fixing the OEM. Off the top of my head 3 switches, 8 relays, crimp connectors, and other shop supplies.

Just want to make sure that i should supply each one of those with 12 vdc and not ground. (edit: I think each circuit requires 12 v) but the factory manual is vague.
Some circuits need ground some need the specific +12V circuit designed to power each switch.

If you are not very sure how the ignition switch works and how to safely reconnect each circuit you are at risk of high currents starting a fire.

A NASCAR switch panel is connected to complicated circuits.As a example the battery relays they use to disconnect the battery cost about $300, but you just see a simple switch.

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
I nearly did not click as the mod seems little more use than helping thieves. Glad I read as provides quite good intel - thanks ZO-

Now Globemaster, you know your way around an FSM, so sorry but just can't shake WTH you letting WalMart anywhere near your car. Do you really hate it that much??

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yea, It was 20 below zero and i had to have some tires......I figured what could go wrong! My sons bronco project was stalled in the garage and I had no place to pull the tires off. The 9c1 is just beat to hell and 2nd gear is slipping,198000 miles and my wife is done with me having it and I don't have a place to park it. (I never drive my SS anymore cause i live in the middle of MT and main street is dead.)
The next phase is to make a daily driver out of my SS and enjoy it.....so the 9c1 is going to go.

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
I figured as much. Spent 9C1 loses to wife = wise tack. Now I just hope she appreciates how much you must love her turning a "never driven" SS into a driver. In Montana.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lol yep..wife .just banned my son from driving the nice car so now the beat to hell 9c1 "with a huge dent in the roof from a baseball' is on the list for repair. wife is on board....never lie to mom. any one know where i can get the linkage that connects the rod to the gear on the ignition switch? took the column down and found the problem.
Thanks....still think the original plan would have looked cool .....just dont want to go to the trouble of building up the 3 circuits that would handle the current.

·
Registered
10,904 Posts
I may have one. Here is a picture of it.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
One of the dumbest GM designs ever. Basically unchanged for 30 years. Pot metal castings guaranteed to break at the worst time. I assume the new parts are better.

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
One of the dumbest GM designs ever.
Basically unchanged for 30 years.
Maybe so, but you don't see anyone trying to replace the ignition on a 95 Honda Accord
because the cars themselves are all gone- crushed or in junk yard.

Nab

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Maybe so, but you don't see anyone trying to replace the ignition on a 95 Honda Accord
because the cars themselves are all gone- crushed or in junk yard.

Nab
Not sure what that has to do with our cars. BTW - I am the original owner of an 87 Accord LXI hatchback - never had any problem with the ignition switch...................... and very few other things obviously.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I once just added a push button for starter on a junker winter beater that came to me with a busted column.
Easy peasy...cost was less than $20
Hid a toggle switch to kill power under the dash so more difficult for someone to just fire it up and drive away.

·
Premium Member
1,495 Posts
That is part of the dimmer switch linkage for a tilt column
Gerry, thanks for clearing that up for me. I thought I had given some wrong info. I still believe the link I posted is correct for the OPs situation.

Mark: Snowman-33

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Not sure what that has to do with our cars. BTW - I am the original owner of an 87 Accord LXI hatchback - never had any problem with the ignition switch...................... and very few other things obviously.
My point, if I really have to state it, is that even though the poster claims our ignition switches are junk,
our cars are worth restoring unlike one of the FWD disposable cars from the 90s.

Nab

1 - 16 of 16 Posts