Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i done it twice in school to repair them but not to upgrade them. after reading this step by step on how to change ur gears im willing to tackle the job because i understood this very easy.

im going to go with 4.10 gear because i drive with 255/30/22 front and 295/25/22 daily. so the wheel diameter is larger.

i need a full complete kit that i will need to make this swap possible. i remember hearing i will also need a detriot locker. anybody know where i can get the complete kit from?

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
It doesnt say anything about having the larger carrier bearing for an aftermarket diff.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
30 spline axle fits, will fit c-clip axle.

Master Rebuild Kits include the following, Pinion Bearings & Races, Carrier Bearings & Races, Pinion Seal, Crush Sleeve, Carrier Shims, Pinion Depth Shims, Gear Marking Compound W/Brush, Rear End Silicone, Pinion Nut & Washer, Lock Tite.

Relevant: LIMITED SLIP, POSI, POSITRACTION, TRUE TRAC, TRUETRAC, 10 BOLT, DIFFERENTIAL, TEN BOLT, GM 8 1/2, GM 8.5, 8.5" & 8.6" GM REAR 30Spline TRUETRAC (use HEAVY DUTY carrier Bearings & Kits).

where can i get a carrier at?

·
Registered
892 Posts
Are you sure you need 4.10 gears?
These are 28" tires, at most, standard size tire for wagon. I think 3.73 would fit you just fine, the actual gear ratio would be more like 3.62.

If you get 4.10, the effective ratio will end up as 3.90+ something, if that's what you want.

I think I would definitely go with 4.10 if dealing with a tire of 29" and larger.

Code:
Specification  Sidewall  Radius  Diameter  Circumference  Revs/Mile  Difference 
295/25-22         2.9in  13.9in    27.8in         87.4in        725        0.0% 
255/30-22         3.0in  14.0in    28.0in         88.0in        720        0.8%

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
because i understood this very easy.

i remember hearing i will also need a detriot locker. anybody know where i can get the complete kit from?
If YOU understood this easy, you will screw it up.

You don't need a locker.

Besides being a tool, Do you have the tool's to do this correctly?

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

You don't need a locker.

sorry for not mentioning it. the dial indicator i plan to buy off ebay also to measure the lash.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Get a good quality dial indicator, not some ebay crap, and a good set of dial calipers.

·
Registered
110 Posts

You don't need a locker.

I agree... if this is your daily driver a "locker" is not what you want. As far as the 4:10 ratio to turn the wheel and tire combo that may be a bit much also. I would think 3:73 would be more than enough to spin bigger wheels and tires... to be honest my concern would be in the transmission (if you're running the stock tranny) more than anything!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts