Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im Tying To Get 400Hp Out Of My 94 Impala SS Can Someone Point Me In The Right Ways As To What I Need To Do To Get There
Mods On Car When I Bought It

Edelbrock Performer RPM Air-Gap LT1/LT4 Intake Manifolds
K&N Cold Air Intake
1.6 Roller Rocker Arms
Unknown Cam Guy Died So Have No Way Of Finding Out Unless I Replace It
And I Have 373 Gears And Eaton Posi Unit But I Have Not Put Them Into The Car

I Was Leaning Towards Buying The And Head And Cam Package And Getting A Proper Tune Whats The Heads And Cam kit to get And What All Do I To Do To get Em Installed Cause If The Cost Is To Much Ill Will Just Buy This Ls2 Out Of And Gto And Just Buy The Custom Wire Harness And Only Be Out Like 3k (Yes Someone Is Trying To Sell Me And Ls2 For 1700-2000)

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
Heads/cam package from LE/AI/Mike Harris, long tube or tri-y headers and a good tune should get you there. Don't forget to upgrade the fuel pump, injectors and MAF.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Nice start

Ram Air has it nailed.
Let the motor breath (intake, heads, exhaust)
Feed it fuel (upgraded pump)
That will let you get your money's worth from a head & cam package you pick out.
LE Stage 2 at least.
But making 400 HP is one thing.
Getting it ot the ground is different.
You should include gears (3.73 at least) and a torque converter (3000 stall).
Sounds like a lot of fun!
I wish you well!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks For You Guys Input. i Got In Contact With Mike Harris And Im Waitin On Him To Reply Back To Me
But I Have The 373 And A Eaton Posi Unit Just Haven't Installed It And I Also Have Headers And Intake And Throttle Body Also But Would I need And F-Body MAF Sensor cause My Car has And summit brand MAF sensor. And What Are Some brands Of Upgraded Fuel Pumps And Also Fuel Injectors?????????????
And What Head And Cam Package Are Most Of You Guys Using ??????????????????

·
Registered
6,949 Posts
I would imagine the Summit MAF is hurting you cause the PCM doesn't know what to do with it. You would be better with a stock one back on it, but I would get the F body 3.5" one and put it on when it's time to get tuned.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I Was Thinking The Same thing About The Summit MAF Sensor And I Would Do The 150 Shot But I Think I Might Kill Myself With That Speed LOL

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
Nobody is going to ask where he wants the 400hp? Flywheel or rear wheel?

·
Registered
22 Posts
3:73 at least?

I disagree. The rear end gear ratio has absolutely nothing to do with horsepower and is a bad choice unless you're going to drag race it a lot. 3:42 is a much better choice as an all-around gear. Keep in mind that 3:08 to 3:42 is 1 10% change; 3:42 to 3:73 another 10%. More wear and tear on a daily basis for what?

And, of course, the real horsepower question is at the back of the engine or on the ground? Even 400 at the flexplate is going to probably wreck a stock 4L60E (and the flexplate as well if you don't buy and install a HD plate), so you'd better count on a well-built transmission before you ever run it with 400 or more HP. 5-pinion planetaries, "beast" shell, blue plate clutch disc, kolene steels, wide waffle band, hardened output shaft. etc., etc., etc.

Also don't forget the driveshaft - especially if you do, in fact, go for the 3:73 rear. The stock driveshaft simply is inadequate for the new task of turing 20% more RPM's. You're going to need a 3-3.5" MMC or equivalent - with Dana/Spicer or equivalent ends. And don't forget the pinion either.

Contact me off-post and I'll be happy to send you my mod list/build sheet (LT1/LT4 hybrid, 383 stroker - 450 HP on the engine stand). I KNOW what'll break because I've broken everything that will break. Bill Stroud. email: [email protected]

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Whats's your goal? A dyno queen or a performer. Takes special work to do both.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@Gregg-O Im Trying To Get It To The Rear Wheel But Let Me Ask A Question Cause Im Not Sure Whats The Difference As To Getting It To The Fly Wheel And To The Rear Wheel ???????
@JonRobbinSS I Would Love To Buy Your Car But I Cant Right Now But Your Car Is Gorgeous
@NeverFollow a performer
@CappyBS Email Sent I Would Love To See Your List Cause This LT1/4 That I Have Is Nerve Wrecking And Im Very Close To Going LS1 Or Better And I Also Have And Built Transmission With Trans go Shift Kit And Other Upgraded Parts

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Let Me Ask A Question Cause Im Not Sure Whats The Difference As To Getting It To The Fly Wheel And To The Rear Wheel ???????
the loss between flywheel and rear wheels, factor in about 15% -20% loss.

400HP at the flywheel = 320-340 HP at the rear wheels

if you want 400 HP at the rear wheels you'll need close to 500 HP at the flywheel.

the HP loss to the rear wheels depends on the efficiency of your drivetrain but for our cars and the available aftermarket parts the 15-20% loss is about normal.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ooooooooooooooooooooh ok thats well with that being said i want 400hp to the ground

the loss between flywheel and rear wheels, factor in about 15% -20% loss.

400HP at the flywheel = 320-340 HP at the rear wheels

if you want 400 HP at the rear wheels you'll need close to 500 HP at the flywheel.

the HP loss to the rear wheels depends on the efficiency of your drivetrain but for our cars and the available aftermarket parts the 15-20% loss is about normal.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
i want 400hp to the ground
you'll be spending some serious money to achieve that from your motor, how much are you willing to spend?

in your initial post you mentioned an LS2 swap, an LS2 out of that GTO will not put you anywhere near 400 RWHP in your impala. it makes 400 HP and 395 torque, which in your impala will translate to (ding ding) 320-340 HP to the ground(RWHP)

·
Registered
1,729 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Good info here...

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm Going To Spend Between 5k-8k
And I'm Glad U Told Me That About The LS2 Power To The Ground Cause I Truly Didn't Know That At All I'm Surprising But With And Cam Head And Intake Change I Would Only Be Out Of Like 4500 Still Way Below My Price Range And If The LS2 Puts Out 320 to 340 To The Ground Then The Simple Cam And Head And Intake Change With Some Good Headers Will Put Me At 400 Hp To the Ground Which Is What i Want

But Thanks All You Guys For Tha Input
you'll be spending some serious money to achieve that from your motor, how much are you willing to spend?

in your initial post you mentioned an LS2 swap, an LS2 out of that GTO will not put you anywhere near 400 RWHP in your impala. it makes 400 HP and 395 torque, which in your impala will translate to (ding ding) 320-340 HP to the ground(RWHP)

·
Registered
736 Posts
Unless you are looking forward to a lot of teething problems with a new high powered build and you truly enjoy that building and spec'ing out process you should look to the cars that are already built up. You can pick them up with a lot of the supporting parts already attached and most things worked out for a lot less than you will be spending to get yours to the levels you are saying you want.

Your new motor putting 400hp to the rear wheels will need quite a few bits other than an engine to get the job done reliably. You will need a built transmission and torque converter, a better exhaust, better intake, new rear gearing to match the rest and your goals. Then you will find yourself traction limited and start looking at better suspension parts. Then since you put all that money into it, the interior might as well be presentable and fully functional.. You see how it can snowball..

I am not saying buy mine - but as an example - Selling yours stock in good condition and adding your budget is about my asking price. While building mine again starting over would cost someone over 20-25k.

If you have already gotten all of those other items lined up and on the car then by all means get the motor and complete the package. That is how I did it, I upgraded everything on the car - slowly over years - before I added the big power motor, and to tell you the truth I have loved the experience of putting this build together. It was the right choice for me and I loved being able to do almost all the work myself. But if you are looking to put together a 400RWHP car from scratch on a $8k budget - I think that would be pretty miraculous.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts