Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a set of Impala springs, all four corners for $25.

I am looking at the front springs though, and they are bent. On each one, there are two coils that are pinched close on one side.

I am not sure if they are supposed to be this way or not, so that's my question.

Here's a pic.

Sorry it's so big, I don't know how to resize.

Thanks in advanced.

- Brett Smith

<edit> Hosted a smaller version for you. :D </edit>

[ 10-12-2003, 04:56 PM: Message edited by: FakeSS ]

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
That is normal. That "pinched" side is the side that goes towards the top of the car when installed, and the bottom pigtail should be installed so that it covers ONE, but not BOTH, of the 2 small holes in the lower control arm spring pocket.

If the last paragraph just confused you, it's a good sign that you should leave the install of the springs to someone else

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks to me like they were heated up to lower the car. That is not normal and I don't like the looks of them. :( I would not run them on my car.

Mike

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I gotta agree with Mike, those don't look healthy. Ed are you looking at the mid point of the springs-that's the pinched area that concerns me.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree with BAD ROD and protour4ever. Those spring do not look good to me. I put '95 Impala SS springs on my car and they didn't look like that. Those springs were almost certainly heated to lower the car, like Mike said.

I'm sure Ed was refering to the places on the ends of the front springs where the ends touch (or come very close to touching) the preceding coil. He is absolutely correct (was there ever any doubt? ;) ) that that end goes towards the top. The point he makes about the holes in the bottom cup (pocket) is very important, too.

HTH

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, I will find another set for the front.

Thanks for resizing the picture for me too FakeSS.

- Brett Smith

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Whoops! Yep, I saw the BIG version of the picture and just glanced to see the pinched part (which is normal) at the end of the spring. Didn't catch the middle of the spring!!!

Of course, everyone else is right here. Those springs are trash, throw them away.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
...but don't feel bad. $25 for the rear springs is a steal providing they haven't had the same treatment as the fronts. :(

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Installing those in a car is asking it to suddenly snap and drop the frame to the ground...and most likely that will happen when you're moving and hit a bump, not stationary...not a risk I'd want to take.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by iiibdsiil:
Thanks guys, I will find another set for the front.
Brett,

E-mail me....I have a set of used front springs. I can show them to you WHEN :D you come up to SSHS.

KW

1 - 13 of 13 Posts