Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've gone thru all the old posts, and can't seem to find the answer to my question.

WILL a stock 94-96 Impala rear end fit in a wagon? If not, why not? Can those problems be overcome?

Thanks
Gene

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Won't fit. Without getting into a very long post, the wagon rear is wider than the sedans, and the control arm brackets are welded to the housing wider as well. You either have change the brackets from the sedan rear to fit the wagon, or adapt the discs to the wagon axle. Several gentlemen here have done it using either method, hopefully they will chime in.

Mark

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Guess I'm one of the ones that needs to pipe in. The wagon axle is three inches wider then sedans to include the control arm distance. So no it wouldn't bolt up as is. There is another post about installing a caprice/impala axle under a wagon, it involves cutting off the stock brackets and welding new ones in the right place to bolt up under a wagon. I'm the one that modified disc brakes to bolt up to the existing wagon axle. This should answer part of your question. Tag, you're it...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Darn it....I knew it was too good to be true. There's a guy selling a 3.42 geared Impala rear end....Would kill several birds with one stone....OH WELL.....

Thanks to all who replied...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess I don't understand you guys. It is not a big deal to relocate the control arm brackets and spring perches. It's as close to a bolt in as putting a BB in a 55 Chev. Of course some welding is required, it's part of fabrication. You know, part of being a "car guy". Just do the measuring, tack the pieces in place, pull it back out, and let a professional do the final welding. This is what separates us from the ricers. We don't just do bolt ons, we make things work when they don't exist. If everyone here is 20 years old with no access to tools, OK, I understand. But I find that hard to believe. Just do it, I did and am very glad I did. Really, it's not that big of a deal. dan...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GSwagon:
I guess I don't understand you guys. It is not a big deal to relocate the control arm brackets and spring perches. It's as close to a bolt in as putting a BB in a 55 Chev. Of course some welding is required, it's part of fabrication. You know, part of being a "car guy". Just do the measuring, tack the pieces in place, pull it back out, and let a professional do the final welding. This is what separates us from the ricers. We don't just do bolt ons, we make things work when they don't exist. If everyone here is 20 years old with no access to tools, OK, I understand. But I find that hard to believe. Just do it, I did and am very glad I did. Really, it's not that big of a deal. dan...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't know about you but I take pride in seeing if I can make it first before I have to shell out hard earned cash to buy something that I'll probably have to modify anyway.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.