Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IDK WHERE OR HOW TO POST HERE. I have a 96 Impala SS and I need help.When I come to a stop at a light for instance my car shakes. It never dies or anything but it shakes and Idk why. Any ideas? Also my dual exhausts sound different then one another and Idk why.

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
IDK WHERE OR HOW TO POST HERE. .......

You've made two posts already, so you're doing it right. If you are talking about new threads, they fit in the topics listed here:
https://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/

Do yourself and members here justice and read the stickies at the top of each section for answers to the more common issues that have already been addressed over the past 25 years.

As for your current problem you'll need to add measurably more information for ANY worthwhile usable help. Start with at least the basic stuff: miles, any recent work done, amount and quality of periodic maint., trouble codes. Could be as simple as plugs/wires, or or or or

And Welcome.

·
Registered
326 Posts
96 Black is right ... need more info to actually diagnose such a problem. That said, I'd look at "ignition" issues. Plugs, wires, opti, etc. At idle (at a stoplight), the engine is running as slowly as it goes. If a single piston is missing, you'll notice it. If multiple pistons are missing, the car will shake ... and ... you will hear a distinctive popping sound of sorts that goes with the side that is missing. But ... it could be anything from a dirty injector to a dirty air cleaner ... endless possibilities.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Mr ShudahadaV8 for responding. I truly appreciate that. So I had it hooked up at Auto Zone and got three codes. They are P0300 , P0133 and P1441. Maybe that info will be enough for you to be able to help me. Thank you

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Hi, those codes are mildly related.
P0300 is a pain as it a random misfire, but i think you should fix the other 2 first, as
P0133 is O2 sensor related and may help with misfire once you fix that.
The P1441 is related to fuel maybe pressure issue ?

Google is your friend.
Good luck.
-ALF out....

·
Banned
3,437 Posts
. So I had it hooked up at Auto Zone and got three codes. They are P0300 , P0133 and P1441. Maybe that info will be enough for you to be able to help me. Thank you
the P0300 code can be the ignition coil . this coil if 23 years old requires replacing . I would also replace the Ignition Control Module which is electrically connected to the ignition coil.
engine shakes so miss fires .. other issue can be the spark plug wires are not properly installed . these wires must be covered with a plastic loom material and plug wire #7 driver side is another common failure due to the heat damage ..

the P0133 code is the upstream driver side O2 sensor . this code indicates the O2 sensor voltage is not changing voltage properly too slow so sensor and or wiring problem on the sensor ..
the other issue could be a broken exhaust manifold bolt creating a leak and the O2 sensor could be damaged from contaminates created from the exhaust gases.

the P1441 code indicates that the evap switch is not connected or defective.evap emission canister vacuum switch .. most times this vacuum switch gets contaminated by canister charcoal .. this sucks gas vapors out of the canister so if the canister is damaged these carbon particles will cause this code. ///////////// putting too much gas in the fuel tank causes this liquid gasoline into it then damages the canister .

P0300 IS THE most important fix .. then the O2 sensor .
hopeful you will find a tech that has the knowledge on these vehicles .. probably more than 50yrs old ..

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Adding to what JCat, said, sounds like it needs full tune up with spark plugs and wires.
Also a bad (stuck open) EGR valve will make the motor run rough at a stop (idling).

Nab

·
Banned
3,437 Posts
Adding to what JCat, said, sounds like it needs full tune up with spark plugs and wires.
Also a bad (stuck open) EGR valve will make the motor run rough at a stop (idling).

Nab
with a rough idle I was thinking about the EGR but no 400 codes so probably not .. I did replace 2 egr valves both failed after 10 yrs old threw 400 codes.

I should have said check all the vacuum lines for any leaks , hose cracks esp the PCV ..

·
Registered
8,461 Posts
OP, good you got AZ to read codes

scanning for codes is a good start to identifying what systems are having issues.

If your car has not had scheduled maintenance and unknown mileage from last "tune up" you need full service tune up which can lead to other parts, mostly sensors, needing changing.

the 0441 code could simply be a lose, worn gas cap so check that first or parts of the EVAP system itself need changing.

The 02 sensor code may mean that 02 is failing (but could also mean you have a exhaust or vacuum leak for example). If the 02 sensor has over 50k mi on it replace it and the other front one. Use AC Delco AFS 75 ONLY. Amazon typically has the best $ on them

If you are not doing your own maintenance , this can get expensive paying a shop to test all the components of a system and then replace what could be a $2 vacuum hose alone or a $200 emission part...$ labor can be brutal

Your throttle body could need cleaning, including the IAC passage & sensor. This can be done with a spray can of Throttle Body cleaner

0300 code is general misfire. Often happens because "something" is causing the motor to run like crap. Could be a fuel or ignition or sensor issue but all the PCM see's s a stumbling engine so throws code 0300. Code 0301-8 mean misfire specific to that # cylinder so you could focus on that specific cylinder to repair

·
Banned
3,437 Posts
OP, good you got AZ to read codes
the 0441 code could simply be a lose, worn gas cap so check that first or parts of the EVAP system itself need changing.

If you are not doing your own maintenance , this can get expensive paying a shop to test all the components of a system and then replace what could be a $2 vacuum hose alone or a $200 emission part...$ labor can be brutal
code is P1441 ...evap switch

·
Registered
64 Posts
the P1441 code indicates that the evap switch is not connected or defective.evap emission canister vacuum switch .. most times this vacuum switch gets contaminated by canister charcoal .. this sucks gas vapors out of the canister so if the canister is damaged these carbon particles will cause this code. ///////////// putting too much gas in the fuel tank causes this liquid gasoline into it then damages the canister .
This was the issue with mine, carbon particles in the solenoid - new solenoid and canister and issue was gone. I also replaced all the hoses going to canister/solenoid, some of them were pretty trashed.

·
Banned
3,437 Posts
This was the issue with mine, carbon particles in the solenoid - new solenoid and canister and issue was gone. I also replaced all the hoses going to canister/solenoid, some of them were pretty trashed.
I never had that switch code but I did replace those hoses in around the canister .. must use gloves on your hands those hoses were nasty muck mess..a pita to get at .

reason I did this ,,,,,,,,, the gas cap when I would fill up created a blow of air .. so the hoses collapsed and kinked as they were so soft ..creating the gas tank pressure ..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts