Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just bought a 96 DCM SS from a friend at work. He is the original owner and swears the car has never been hit or painted. The pass. side impala emblem is on upside down. Could it have shipped from factory that way? He says he never noticed it the whole time he owned it. Are they easyto get off and back on?
Thanks

·
Registered
55 Posts
Anything is possible, although that seems highly unlikely. Especially if he never noticed it before and he is the original owner. Seems more likely that
A) The car has had some work done
-or-
B) It isn't a true WS7

But, if you're happy with it, what does it matter. The logo can come off, with a heat gun and some patience. Look at the SPID in the trunk (white label with black lettering, listing all RPO codes of the vehicle) and see if you see WS7 (RPO code for SS) on the list. Match the vehicle's vin number to that sticker in the trunk as well. Sure, it could still be a fake, but most people won't go as far as to have a SPID with a matching vin number on it, or even worry about the SPID at all.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Anything is possible, although that seems highly unlikely. Especially if he never noticed it before and he is the original owner. Seems more likely that
A) The car has had some work done
-or-
B) It isn't a true WS7

But, if you're happy with it, what does it matter. The logo can come off, with a heat gun and some patience. Look at the SPID in the trunk (white label with black lettering, listing all RPO codes of the vehicle) and see if you see WS7 (RPO code for SS) on the list. Match the vehicle's vin number to that sticker in the trunk as well. Sure, it could still be a fake, but most people won't go as far as to have a SPID with a matching vin number on it, or even worry about the SPID at all.
WX3= Impala SS

·
Registered
328 Posts
How long did your "friend" own it before you bought it? I find it hard to believe that an owner never realized the emblem was upside down. Possible yes but I think very unlikely. I would think if he ever washed or waxed it at least once and was somewhat observant he would have noticed this before not only after it was sold. Would make me wonder what else he swears he didn't know about the car as the original owner. Post some pics if you have any.

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
WS7 = Passenger side emblem inversion. Very rare and unique option.

BTW, what is the left Pass. side? :confused:

~HJ

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I dont know how I got "left" in there. Brain fart I guess. It is a WX3, he is the original owner, I have copy of new vehicle title in his name, and he is a straight shooter, known him quite a while. Truthfully doesnt look all that different upside down, i happen to notice it while cleaning out the drip rails. Are they stick ons or do they attach thru the body?

·
Registered
785 Posts
the original may have been stolen or something and replaced with that. have you checked the spid or ran the vin number?

·
Registered
785 Posts
theyre stick on

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I checked the spid and the vin number, they match and match all the original paperwork from the dealer where he bought it. Its not stolen or a fake, it just has an upside down deer on the side. I was just wondering if anyone else had seen this before. Friday built car or maybe the emblem was stolen off the lot and replaced incorrectly? Ill have to get a pic to you guys.

·
Registered
890 Posts
When my SS was repainted years ago (before I bought it) the body shop took off all of the logos, etc. When they reinstalled the deer emblems, they put them on backwards. I noticed it right away when I bought the car, but it took me a while to peel them off and swap them around.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry, no pics, Im on my way to oklahoma for a month and a half. Talked to guy again today and he swears its never been repainted, but anyhting is possible I guess. Thanks for everything guys.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts