Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey i was wondering what kind of drop i would get from switching my stock roadmaster rear springs to impala ss rear springs? just kind of looking to see what i should see to get out of them height wise, i want to level out my car as is has the typical b body nose droop. thanks guys!

·
Registered
11,532 Posts
The Imp is about an inch lower than a standard Caprice. Since the FW weighs a little more than a Caprice, the FW will sit a little lower than an Imp. Maybe 1 1/4 inches is my guess. Floaty vs. firm has nothing to do with ride height. The difference has two factors, spring rate and shock stiffness. The stiffer the spring the less it will compress, and the shorter the spring, the lower the car will sit at rest if it is the same stiffness. If both change it will be a function of the interaction, and the weight placed on the springs. Floatiness is often caused by the shocks, as opposed to the spring. Then again, it is an interaction between the spring and shock that gives the overall feel. Stiff shocks can make a soft spring feel harsh, and vice versa. For instance, imagine taking the shocks off of a Corvette. You will feel like you are on a boat, no matter what springs you have in the Corvette. Put racing shocks on a Caddy, and you will feel every stone on the road.

There are a couple of other issues that can make a car feel floaty. A long overhang, and high sprung to unsprung weight ratio will make a car ride more smoothly and give a floaty feel to the ride. Stiffer sway or anti-roll bars can make the ride feel more controlled as well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.