Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
I sold him that part from my job at Hamilton Chevrolet and the parts books say it does NOT fit a 1994.
I beleive I spoke with you before on this same matter for my 94 caprice. I ended up buying hoses from another source and pieced mine back together.:cool:

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
The vent harness will work for a 94 b-body. All 94-96 B-bodies had vented optisparks from the factory. The confusion about the 94's comes from 94 vettes & f-bodies (which were non-vented optis - and had no vent harness).

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
The vent harness will work for a 94 b-body. All 94-96 B-bodies had vented optisparks from the factory. The confusion about the 94's comes from 94 vettes & f-bodies (which were non-vented optis - and had no vent harness).

This statement is NOT TRUE! The early 1994's did not have the vented optisparks and the GM parts book shows a different part number for the 1994 then the 1995-1996 optispark vent harness. I am willing to concede that it may FIT the vented 1994 vehicles however according to GM it is NOT the correct part for your vehicle.

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
so it fits only 95-96 then???

which part does fit??

I would like to know so I can edit the ad...I will post pictures of the one you sent me later tonight...
Yes it is only correct for a 1995-1996. You can use the pictures from my ebay auction if you do not wish to open your box since the harness is inside 2 seperate boxes for protection.
Mike--Hamilton Chevy

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
I'm not here to start a pissing match, but I'm sure others will back me up on this. All 94-96 B-bodies (and d-bodies for that matter) from the factory came with vented optis. Now it's possible maybe somewhere down the line someone swapped in an engine with a non vented opti on some cars out there (like the one you had)....

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
I'm not here to start a pissing match, but I'm sure others will back me up on this. All 94-96 B-bodies (and d-bodies for that matter) from the factory came with vented optis. Now it's possible maybe somewhere down the line someone swapped in an engine with a non vented opti on some cars out there (like the one you had)....
Mine came from the factory that way and it has not been altered. I am done argueing so you can do what you want. I made it clear that the part number is different for 1994 and that it MAY FIT but it is not correct according to GM. Peace out!

·
Registered
576 Posts
GEEZ! All this over an opti vent harness.

I only know of 1 GM part # for an optispark vent harness for any LT1. If its got a non vented opti, there's surely no part #.

If you've got a vented opti, you'll need the vent harness in question.

Better get it now before they're $150!

·
Premium Member
9,190 Posts
94, somewhat goldy is right....

the pre-dated optis were not vented....so the book is correct but outdated.
you can still buy vented and none opties but they switched over to the vented in 94 due to failures from condensation.

i though some early 94s had the closed optis...

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
i though some early 94s had the closed optis...

I'm not saying my word is gospel, who knows, maybe their were a few, but I have yet to see anything posted online about someone with a non vented opti on a b-body (from the factory). If I'm wrong, I'm sure there will be a bunch of members posting up here about their factory non vented optis. Are there any stock b-body intake elbows in existence without provisions for the vent harness? Are there two different numbers for any b-body intake elbows?

PS - Sorry Jodogg for mucking up your FS thread. This topic deserves it's own thread....

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
Last thing I am going to say on this subject. 1994 Caprice Optispark Vacuum Harness is GM part #12550627(based on my personal 9C1 VIN number) which is Obsolete and discontinued. 1995-1996 B-Body Optispark Vacuum Harness is GM part #12555323 which is what we have available. I am DONE agrueing here so unless someone can show me any GM catalog that says it is correct for a 1994 I stand by our statement that is is proper for 1995-1996 only.

·
Registered
26 Posts
This statement is NOT TRUE! The early 1994's did not have the vented optisparks and the GM parts book shows a different part number for the 1994 then the 1995-1996 optispark vent harness. I am willing to concede that it may FIT the vented 1994 vehicles however according to GM it is NOT the correct part for your vehicle.
Well I don't know how early you consider "early 94's" to be, but my 1994 Caprice B4U was built 12-9-93 and it positively has a vented optispark.

Unless it's an SS that needs to be kept original, I personally wouldn't EVER give GM money for one. It's just vacuum, line, you can make them as long as the restrictor and filter are still present.

If you think you have an early '94 car that never had a vented optispark, just look at the emission label and see. It will not show the line leading to the optispark(dist).

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.