Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I just inherited a 92 Buick roadmaster that needs some attention, it looks like it has the original tires on it which are very dry rotted , i want to replace them with impala ss 17 inch wheels and tires, my question is will the stock impala ss tire size fit with no rub or should I use something else? Having the widest tire is not important to me ,I just want something that fits and rides good.
Thanks Pete m

·
Registered
11,036 Posts
Depending on the diameter of the Impala tires (I believe they are 27 instead oif 28) you may have to put a different driven gear in the VSS so that your speedo is reasonably correct. You will have to do the calculation based on the gear ratio and the driven gear in the car. A local speedometer shop should be able to fix it for you. The other option is to put 28 inch tires on the Impala rims. They will still fit under the fenders. It is probably easier to put the larger diameter tires on the car.

·
Registered
155 Posts
The SS wheels and tires work fine on a 92 RMS, Ive had em on mine for years. Had my speedo checked after they were put on and it wasnt off but a couple mph. SS wheels are a great upgrade on Roadmasters!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone, I got the rims , i forgot to mention it has rear drums if it makes a differance,I will start looking for some rubber next week, and put up some pics after I give it a bath.
Pete m

·
Registered
155 Posts
Drums on mine too, made no difference at all. Got decals for the center caps that are the Buick shields from a forum member named Maximuss. looks awesome IMHO.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The other option is to put 28 inch tires on the Impala rims. They will still fit under the fenders. It is probably easier to put the larger diameter tires on the car.
Do you know what the best or closest size to factory tire dimensions in 28 inch would be?
I got her cleaned up and the a/c working last week now anxious to start driving around .
Thanks a lot , Pete m

·
Registered
11,036 Posts
A 235-60-17 just happens to be a 28 inch tire. I may put a smaller tire on the front to keep them from hitting the bodywork. I have 215-70-15s on the front right now, and they are not really happy (I have drop spindles, and they move the tire out about 1/2 inch, and the lowering springs also cause a 1/8 inch move outward as well, because of the angle of the lower arm).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Making some progress,got the wheels on today but need to get the correct lug nuts before I drive it, I wish I took a before pic. So far ,repaired 2 window trac rollers,converted ac to 134a, need to find a rear window switch and replace scratched windshield.

·
Registered
11,036 Posts
Check the rear window switch for why it is not working. The paddle may be broken. The paddles are easy to replace. The rear window switches are the same as the passenger's side front window switch. You can remove them from the bezel, and just replace the switch.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Fred, I broke the switch while taking the door panel off, the tab that the paddle Snaps to broke off.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts