Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I believe I used the search feature correctly but I did not find this:
What is the difference in factory ride height between a stock Impala SS and a stock Caprice. For some reason 1.5" sticks in my head.
Most aftermarket springs claim a 1.5" or 2" drop but all are marketed to the Impala SS. Does that mean they will drop a Caprice 3".
I have used Intrax springs for a '94-'96 Impala on both of my '77's and they end up at least 3" lower than their original ride height.
This question comes up because I now have a '96 Roadmaster. I just put 17" x 8" rims with 255-50-17's on it and it needs to come down a little. This car has the factory leveling air shocks in the rear and worn FE1 springs in the front. This gives it quite a "rake".
When I measure it against my wife's '95 tow package Caprice it is 1" lower in the front. Measuring from the bump stop on the front LCA to the frame. The car would look fine with just 1" more drop in the front and 2"-3" in the rear. I know cutting a half a coil out of the front should equal 1" but I would like to stiffen it up a bit more than that will.
I like these cars low and it wont hurt my feelings to drop it 3". But I feel like my ride quality will be better if I don't go that low. I have looked at all the threads on lowered pics and would like some feedback if its out there.
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
20,295 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
Impala77,

I've got a set of Hotchkis drop springs W/Airlift bags to sell if you are interested.

·
Premium Member
6,324 Posts
get your face into a Factory Service Manual for 95 or 96--all the numbers you need are in there. There's a chart.

It's not just the springs--SS has a shorter tire, too.

FYI, front SS springs were also production fitment on some other B-bod's....certain wagons, I recall, but front trim height was much higher due to tire diameter and rearward weight bias of wagon body.

THIS THREAD may offer some added insight....still, find a 95 or 96 FSM for the full picture.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry it took me so long to see this reply, I spent last week in the hospital. Tell me about your Hotckis springs: the 1" is down from stock SS ride height? How much do you want for them? and do I need the bags?
thank you.

·
Premium Member
20,295 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts